Chapter 16

Quick psa before we begin, there is a lil blurb at the bottom that you absolutely must read. Ok thank you and enjoy the chapter!

~~~~ Christmas time ~~~~

"What if I say something wrong?" I ask as Robert pulls into a driveway.

"You'll be fine. Gifted with charm and a silver tongue remember?" He says, looking at me as he turns his car off.

"Okay, but they might not like me!"

"Kayla, they'll like you."

"But what -"

Robert leans over, kissing me to cut me off. "Trust me, they'll love you." He assures, unclipping his seat belt and getting out of the car.

I follow him up to the door.

"Oh, there's a good chance they'll want us to stay here, so try to abstain from any shenanigans." He says after ringing the doorbell.

"You're the one who starts it ninety-nine percent of the time." I say.

"Because you always look so hot, so stop it." Robert leans down and kisses my cheek at the door opens.

I swallow hard, watching as he greets his mom with a hug.

"So, this is her? The journalist?" His mom glances at me.

"Mum, I've told you all about Kayla and shown pictures, of course you know this is her." Robert says with exasperation.

I shift uncomfortably as she studies me, then leans over to her son.

"She's adorable." His mom whispers audibly.

Robert smiles. "I know."

"Well, come on it, get out of the heat. The fridge is full, so help yourselves to anything you want."

"But not everything." I whisper to Robert, winking as he blushes, shutting the door behind him.

"So, are you two staying in a hotel?" His mom asks.

"Hopefully. We couldn't find any openings before we left, so I'll probably check while we visit." Robert says, earning a glare from his mother.

"Not during the holidays! Bertie, you should know that there won't be anything available." She chastises.

I snort a laugh, covering it with a convincing cough.

"You'll both stay here. Kayla can take your old room, you can take the futon or the couch."

"Mum, we can share my room. We share an apartment." Robert says.

"Yes yes, I know!" His mom waves her hand dismissively. "Do whatever you need, just get yourselves situated."

Robert smiles, then nods to the staircase. "Far left door."

I start up the stairs, with him close behind with our suitcases.

I push open the door to a plain, half-decorated room. "Wow, very boring."

"Gee thanks. Just remember I haven't lived in here in years." Robert says, setting the suitcases down.

I sit down on the bed.

"Well, you survived the first encounter."

"Fuck off." I roll my eyes.

"Ooh grumpy! C'mon." Robert motions for me to stand.

"Why?" I ask, shuffling over.

"Because food makes you not grumpy, and I don't want my girlfriend grumpy during our first Christmas." He says, kissing my forehead.

"Fine, but only 'cause I want to make a good impression." I mumble, letting him lead me back down the stairs.

I stop halfway, smiling to myself before shaking my head.

"What?"

"Oh nothing, Bertie." I smile.

"Maybe bringing you was a bad idea." Robert frowns.

I roll my eyes, moving up a step to be eye level. "Too late." I say.

"Yeah, but I am glad you're here." Robert says, leaning forward and kissing me.

I smile wider. "Thanks Bertie."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Y'ALL

Y'ALLL!!!!!!!

TWO NUMBER 1 RANKS!!!!!! HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!And a third possibly on the way?????Guys, honestly just wow

And a third possibly on the way?????
Guys, honestly just wow. This is insane!
I love how much you love this! 💖
You're incredible and I love you all

XOXO!!!