chapter 18

Chapter 18
DAMON
I KNOW I MESSED up and was selfish and didn't think it through before hiring a reporter to take pictures of us in Vegas. I overlooked the fact that it would hurt her this way, i had thought she'll find the gesture sweet and part of me is staring at the door to my room, wishing and hoping she has not left me again, praying she's curled up like a ball in our bed. I brace up to face the inevitable, if i don't find her here, at least i know she'll be with Rebecca, but I'm really hoping she's inside.  Fortunately for me, i saw her as predicted, she's curled up like a ball, she's not asleep and her swollen face proved she'd been crying. Fuck. I really messed up.

I walk to her side of the bed on my knees, really hoping she'd forgive me this time.

"I'm sorry love"

After a long silence, she finally heaved a sigh.

"It's not your fault, its mine. I'm mad at myself and honestly blaming and taking it out on you seemed the best way to go about it, i should be sorry" she wipes a tear off her face with a hand.

"Why would you say that?"

"I'm scared, first of all, this whole pregnancy thing is messing with my hormones, it's making me irrationally pissed over petty things, second is how I'm going to tell my parents, i made them a granddaughter but she died before they could see her, that i was so ashamed and embarrassed to show Kat to them, that i lived a reckless life. Doing this a whole thing is the only way i know i can be at peace with myself and Kat. A befitting burial that has her grandparents in attendance is what i want for her."

"And i messed things up"

"No you didn't, I'm guessing you were the push because i might have gathered the courage to do it if you hadn't told the press about us."

"So you're not mad at me?"

"Just a little and that's because my parents will know I eloped to Vegas and got married without their consent and blessing"

"I'm sorry"

"I love you" she stands up to give me a warm embrace and i hear her stomach grumble.

"Is that you or Mary or Scott" i stare at her already visible bump.

"I think its all three, I've not had anything to eat since lunch"

"I'll go cook something" i hurry to the exit.

"You? Cook?" She laughs.

"Oh, you think i can't cook anymore? Well, there's a whole lot of things you need to know about the new Damon Ice."

I hear her giggle echo as i make my way through the hallway and down the stairs, into the kitchen.

CLAIRE
THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE ride from the airport to my matrimonial home, my parents didn't say a thing to me, even worse when they saw my growing belly. We arrive in the living room and i made it my cue to break the silence.

"Do you want anything to eat?"

"First of all you got married without our knowledge, and then you surprise us with that cute little thing in your belly, that's a lot to take in Claire, so no, we don't want your hospitality, we clearly aren't important to you" my mum hiss.

"I'm so sorry Mum"

"Why would you even elope to Vegas, your dad and i both know Damon, so it is not like we won't agree to your marriage?"

"I know but i really planned to tell you both, "

"Well, how's that going for you?" She asks

"I did plan on telling and was waiting for the perfect time to do that. I'm sorry you had to hear the news online, i didn't mean for that to happen."

"And that?" She points at my belly.

"Your second grandchild" i finally say.

"There's a first? What the hell Claire! Why would you keep so many things from us? We are your parents for Christ sake, what else are you keeping?" She rants.

"The first one died in an accident, she was seven years old"

It took them a few minutes to process what i had said before my dad finally spoke.

"You what?" He asks.

"I had a child back in uni and i was ashamed to tell you both, i kept the baby a secret because i didn't want you to be ashamed of me and every passing day made it hard to break the news to the both of you"

" what was her name?" My mum said almost in a whisper.

"Kat" i reply.

"That's why you never visited back then?" My dad asks and i affirm with a nod.

"When did she pass away?" My mum begins to walk towards me.

"Few days before my birthday this January"

"I don't even know what to say to you young woman, you can't even trust us with your problems instead you hid them completely away from our knowledge, i am a mother too, i would never have judged you, i feel so bad for not training you well enough to confide in me" she begins to cry and i cry too.

"You're not to blame mom, you did a perfect job grooming me and I'm sorry i let you down"

She hugs me and the whole of me hated myself for not telling them i was pregnant with Kat sooner.

"Can we see her?" She asks with her almost broken voice.

"Of course, "

I come back downstairs with a bunch of Kat's photos.

"She looks just like you," my dad says.

"I was thinking we hold a befitting funeral for her, she had one already but i want her to be surrounded by family this time," i ask.

"Of course" my mum sniffles.

"Don't ever keep anything from us ever again"

"Yes mum, i promise never to do that ever again"

"So you really love Damon this much yeah?"

"Yes Dad, he's a good man and he loves me wholeheartedly"

"He finally found you so I'm guessing you're right about that"

"What do you mean Lucas?" My mum asks inquisitively

"I may have warned him back then to stay off you" my dad shrugs. "Can't blame a protective Dad"

"Dad!" I give him a hug and my mum joins.