Writer's Games: Mall Mayhem

Towards the time of Christmas, the mall is hectic and filled with the late-minute shoppers who have absent-mindedly pushed their thoughts about buying gifts for their loved ones to the back of their busy minds. Their feet ache from the scurrying that they've had to endure for the past eight hours; their mouths contain bitter aftertastes of the coffee and energy drinks they've consumed during their long trips to the mall.

Tinsel wraps around the railings on each floor; the Christmas tree of the mall looms over the citizens who are piling up in the doorways of shops, desperate to get in their last five minutes of shopping. Tills begin to overflow with money and cups begin to overflow with liquid as the bartenders sloppily fill the paper cups.

The lights that line the doorways of shops begin to flicker as customers register the fact that the shops are closing; they won't be able to purchase the items that they've just managed to find until tomorrow - that's if they decide to come back to collect them. People flood the car parks and the streets of the town as they break out of the mall; lights and snow surround them.

Just as the last of the people get out of the mall, the music dies down and the doors of shops begin to close. That's until the malfunction occurs. The doors to the shops open; the doors to the outside world close. As the last twenty six customers remain trapped inside of the mall, a voice echoes around them, taunting them.

"Oh, it's a shame to see you separated from your families and friends." The voice of the male sounds familiar, but no one can quite pick up on it. To them, at first, it sounds like a voice they had heard on the television in a time of despair, a time when the news was blowing up with the problems of a catastrophe known as the Carnival. "Atilius would be proud of me."

Atilius: the last man to be captured and killed after the disaster that occurred a month ago. "The Rioux family will reign on. Let us have some fun in this mall."

People begin to panic as the realisation that there will be blood and tears and scarring memories to endure for the person who escapes this time. They all saw the horrors of Atilius' reign; they now have to put up with the disgusting torture that this guy has in mind for them.

"Let the mayhem begin."