0.4

September 28

I met his parents almost a month into our relationship. He'd wanted me to do it weeks earlier, but I'd pushed it off for so long that his parents had started asking. So reluctantly I agreed to do it. After fussing over my outfit for an hour and the way I should wear braids, I'm sure I settled on just jeans and a name braid t-short. I probably wore my wore my hair down, nothing done in the end to alter their state after many wasted attempts.

Brayden ensured me a hundred times that his parents would love me. I always replied just yeah at that, skeptical, if you want a label. I won't walk on eggshells, not in my own novel, so here's the facts: I was black. He was white. It's not 1960, I'm aware. Still. I lived in a very white neighborhood and so did he. Who knows what emotions people in these type of places hide behind their closed doors? I wasn't about to let my guard down and then have that be my downfall, no.

My parents dropped me at his house and drove away before I'd even entered the house. I was quick to text Brayden of my arrival, not wanting anyone but him to answer the door. He opened the door cheerily and gave me a quick hug before introducing me to his mom. I swear she was the sweetest person I'd ever met. She shared her son's happiness at meeting me, and instead of shaking my hand pulled me in for a hug. A weight fell off my chest. It wasn't 1960 and I could let my guard down. We made small talk with his mom for a while before he went to show me his room. It was clean, he informed me he'd cleaned it just for me. At fifteen, that declaration was enough to warm my heart. He pulled me into his arms and gave me a longer hug before we went to check out the basement.

The basement was messy, the doing of his younger brothers, he insisted. We cuddled on the couch and watched The Office, my favorite show then. A little while later, he started running his fingers softly up and down my arm. It was sweet, and I cuddled myself closer to him, still watching my show. His fingers moved down to the base of my waist and rested there. I remember being really into my show but also knowing what he wanted and what I should do. So I twisted in his arms to face him, and turned my face up. He leaned down and touched his lips to mine. We kissed for a long while before he became adventurous, moving his hands down to cup my ass and roam my body. I didn't mind, I won't lie I'm pretty sure I enjoyed the whole experience.

At the slightest noise, I pulled back, not about to be caught 'doing bad things' the same day I met his parents. He assured me we were fine after no one came down after a minute. We went back to kissing. I played with his soft brown hair and tugged his head closer to mine. I wasn't as adventurous as him, and kept my hands either playing in his hair or a feeling the muscles of his arms.

After a while, we settled down and went back to watching the show. His mom called us up a few minutes later, saying his dad was home and I should meet him. We went up stairs and I did just that. His dad was nice and asked simple questions about school. He was impressed that I was in an eleventh grade math even though I was a sophomore. Brayden got me some water and I played with their family dog as they talked. His dad showed us pictures from his lates business trip to Alaska. Eventually, we headed back down to the basement. I can't remember if we continued watching the show or made out instead. Perhaps we did a mixture of both. Either way, when my mom text her arrival, we kissed goodbye quickly in the basement and met my mom on the main floor. To my annoyance, she was talking to his mom. I wished that she could just take me home and leave without any interaction but no. Apparently my mom went to high school with Brayden's parents. Oh what a small world, they gushed. I didn't really care and was relived when they finally stopped talking and we could go home. Maybe I gave Brayden a quick hug goodbye as we left, I can't remember.

In the car my mom asked how it's gone. I wasn't too keen on her knowing my private business back then and so I probably said good. In reality, perfect would have been a better word for that day.

DF: 1.26.20
WC: 820