Ch 4: Assassin

Obito's POV

The lights of the theatre brighten up and the audience stand to welcome Emperor Namikaze and his new bodyguard. 

I watch them from my seat, quiet as a shadow. The Emperor is smiling and waving to everyone, flashing a friendly smile. He's dressed in a silk kimono, gold in color with a fine white robe over it all. 

I narrow my eyes. This is the leader of the empire, and it's my duty to kill him. 

I don't know much about him, like if he's a good person or if he's kind to his family and friends. But I know this… This kingdom used the Uchiha to carry out it's darkest deeds. And the Uchiha served willingly, assassinating members of power among the empire's enemies, sacrificing their lives for the good of the future leadership. It was because of my family's service, the capital emerged victorious and a new government was set in place. 

And what happened to my family after that? The capital forsaked my family and turned us into outcasts; shunned us and made us disappear to be forgotten.

And that's why the emperor needs to die. 

Whatever happens after his death, will be up to the Uchiha. The elders of the clan entrusted me with this pivotal task and I'm just one of the game pieces in their master plan. I have to do everything in my power to make sure the clan reaches its goal. Its for the good of the Uchiha… and eventually, it will be good for the empire as well. 

You need to destroy something that's rotten from the inside, in order to start anew. 

I have to believe in that. 

The emperor sits down in his elegant chair, right in front of the stage. The bodyguard-- known as 'Hound,' I think-- moves to the spot behind him and starts slowly scanning the audience. He's probably memorizing the crowd, making a note of anything suspicious. 

Without moving, I study the guard. He looks tall and lean, although it's hard to tell under the kimono and armor. And then there's that mask, fashioned into the shape of a hound's face, with what looks like a thick battle-grade material, with a shiny sheen of white paint covering its surface. He has his katana strapped to his left side on his hip and he's wearing a long grey kimono, with a light armor plated vest over his torso. He also has leather bracers covering both of his arms.

So this is the famous bodyguard everyone's been talking about? He doesn't seem that scary to me. I know several members of the Uchiha clan who are more imposing, and they don't even wear masks. I was picturing someone taller, more muscular and more intimidating in stature-- Like a monster of a man… Or a demon.

Well, looks can be deceiving. And that armor will be problematic for me if we were to fight; I have to separate him from the emperor somehow. 

The guard continues scanning the crowd, then his head stops turning and…

Wait. Is he looking at me??

Shit, shit, shit…. I have to act calm. 

Slowly, I nod my head in a polite greeting. Hopefully I seem normal and uninteresting.

After a long moment, Hound nods his head too. Then he turns away.

I let out a quiet breath of relief. Whew, that was close. I have to make sure I blend in with the audience; I can't let myself stand out.

I move my eyes back towards the stage, right as the bodyguard turns away and sits down beside the emperor. Then something odd catches my attention.

What is this? He has white silver hair

How strange... His hair really reminds me of Kakashi; his hair has the same silver hue. And bouncy, with the effect of defying gravity just the right way.