Ch 9: The Cave

Kakashi POV

We walk through the tunnel for a while, making a few turns left and right as we follow the river. Eventually, we get to the cave, where the river veers a different way, which I know leads to a waterfall, then a lake outside the city walls.

I reach into my bag, which I prepared earlier when I left Obito at the school, to bring out a small lantern, a flint, and a small vial of oil.

"We must be more careful with our footsteps here, Obito," I tell him. I pour the oil and strike the flint with my knife to light the small lantern. "It's dark, and we no longer have light from above from the city storm drains. And we don't have the river to follow anymore."

Obito tightens his lip uneasily. If hearing about the complete darkness ahead scares him, he's doing his best not to show it.

I hold the lantern out ahead of me to light the way. The cavern ahead looks pitch black, with slight reflections off the shiny rock from the lantern caused by the damp temperature of the air.

After a moment, I walk to him and speak sternly, "It would be best if I hold your hand." I reach down and grab his hand.

Obito's mouth falls open slightly, and he pulls his hand away like he just touched the fire in the lamp. "H-hold my hand?" he gasps.

He looked perplexed; his breathing quickened as I could see the mist coming from his nose and mouth in a faster rhythm. I narrow my eyes at him, curiously reading his expression under the blindfold.

Is he... blushing? In the dim lighting, I can't be sure.

After a moment, he turns away. His long hair, still damp from the river, cascades to add a shadow over his face, concealing it from view. I purse my lips, confused.

It must be my imagination...

"Yes," I affirm to him. I grab his hand again, holding it tightly as I pull him into the cave.

"Ah- Ka-kakashi..!" he stammers. I feel him resisting and trying to pull his hand out of my grip. "Is this really necessary??"

I continue ahead while holding the lamp in front of us to watch our footing. I keep my hand tight around his. "The path gets narrow up ahead. There are sharp jagged edges on the walls, and sometimes cracks or rocks on the floor that can make you trip and hurt yourself."

Obito laughs, his carefree voice flooding the narrow cavern, although it has a sarcastic edge. "I can handle a few rocks in my path, Kakashi. As I told you before, I can move around just fine in the dark. I was trained to move in the shadows; I'm not going to trip or slam my face against a wall--"

"Or...," I interrupt him, turning to look at him unamused. "The ground under your feet could be unstable or loose with rocks, which can make you fall on your ass and slide down into one of the cave's many bottomless chasms."

I feel the strength of his hand, trying to pull out of mine, slacken. He coughs and straightens up his shoulders. "Ok, fine." His hand tightens around mine, and I notice him inch a little closer. His movements are a bit uneasy, as if unsure where to step. "But I'm following your advice only because it's sensible. I can definitely move around by myself with this blindfold. I don't need anyone to hold my hand."

I blink a few times. Then I turn to the side to hold back a sudden bout of snickering. I can feel him staring in my direction under the blindfold, unamused.

I don't doubt Obito's capabilities, but I can't help smiling. A light fluttery feeling swells in my chest.

"Of course, Obito," I say, smiling. And I lead him into the cave.