10| Heart

10| Heart

The emotional pain I felt at that moment was unlike any I have ever felt before. Seeing my own mothers lifeless body in front of me, and the boy I thought I loved, the boy I thought cared for me, holding the rifle. At first, I really believed that I had been dreaming, until a voice shook me out of my daze.

Anthony's red eyes meet my own. I opened my mouth to say something, but no words could come out. Anthony has tears streaming down his face, as if he wasn't the one who had just pulled the trigger. "I'm sorry, Skylar."

"Everybody head back to the train, now!" Anthony darts away, leaving myself and the body in front of me. The shock had worn off, and I fell to my knees and screamed. I screamed until there was no voice coming out. I screamed my moms name, I screamed for a miracle, but there was none.

I felt arms wrap around my trembling body. I turned around in his arms, and pressed my head against his chest. I didn't want to look at my mothers open eyes and the pool of blood that was now forming underneath her.

Eric's hand ran through my hair, just like they had when we first embraced. "Why did it have to be her? Why couldn't it be me?" I asked through the sobs.

"Because it's not supposed to end for you so early." Eric rises to his feet, pulling me up with him. Eric eyes the body, frowning. "Come, we have to go." He says as he begins walking.

I shake my head and don't move. "No, I can't leave her like this." I say, feeling nauseous thinking about leaving my mothers body like this.

"Skye, we have to go. Now." Eric's voice is stern. "We are going to miss the train. And it's not safe here."

"Then go without me!" I stubbornly yell, leaning down and grabbing my mothers hand.

Eric sighs in frustration while pinching the bridge of his nose. "I have no choice," I don't know what he means until he throws me over his shoulder.

"Let go of me!" I scream, kicking with all my strength, but it doesn't effect Eric. I cry out as I watch my mothers body become further and further away.

Eric doesn't drop me until he jumps onto the train. We are in a train carriage separate from all the other Dauntless.

I angrily look at Eric. "Why did you do that!" I scream at him.

"I had no choice-"

"Yes, you did! What's going to happen with her body now? Are they just going to throw her in the bin?" I bring a shaking hand up to my forehead as I pace back and forth.

"Skye, listen. I know how it feels. The a similar thing happened with my parents. And I know, that the longer you stay, not only are you putting yourself in danger but it's better to not say goodbye. You need to forget about it and focus on your own life in Dauntless."

I look at him in pure shock. Just to forget about it? Forget about the fact that you no longer have a family? That it's now just me? Before I can even think about what I am doing, I slap him across the face.

Eric doesn't even flinch. When he opens his eyes, he is looking directly into mine. I suddenly feel scared. "I-I'm sorry-"

I am cut off by Eric hands on my shoulders. He shoves me back into the wall, making me wince at the impact. Eric then walks over to me, and I am sure he is about to beat me up. But he cups my face and stares into my eyes. I see something unusual in them. It's not anger, it's something else.

He pushes his lips onto mine, and I am caught completely off guard. Hesitantly, I kiss back, my arms instinctively snaking their way around his neck. He presses me harder against the carriage, and I lift up my legs and wrap them around his waist. The kiss is rough from the beginning to the end, which was not what I was expecting for a first kiss. And I definitely didn't expect it to be with Eric.

It was much more different than the kisses I shared with Anthony. Anthony and I only did a little peck, but that was all. It was because I never knew what to do or how to do it. I was too scared to take control in case I ended up embarrassing myself.

We pull away, breathless. I smile as we touch our foreheads together, his lips skimming mine teasingly.

"Wow," I whisper, earning a small chuckle from him. "What was that?"

I unwrap my arms and legs and Eric lowers me onto the ground. Now, I am shorter than Eric again.

"I couldn't resist." He says. Millions of things ran through me- butterflies, fireworks, confusion.

"See, you forgot about it." He says, and I don't know what he means until I realise that it was a distraction. Therefore the kiss wasn't real. I feel my heart break a bit.

"Yeah, you're right. It's better not to think about it." The disappointment is evident in my voice, and I just hope that Eric doesn't notice.

I walk over to the open door and stare out at the landscape zooming past us. I pretend to be interested at the blurry view but I was really just trying to avoid having to talk to Eric.

The rest of the train ride was in pure silence. Not a single word came out of Eric's mouth, and the only sound that could be heard was the train engine roaring and the sound of myself trying to hold back another cry.

As soon as the train came to a stop, I leaped out onto the roof and ran over to the ledge. I stared down at the city that looked small from up here. Deep inside, I wanted to jump off so that I could see Amber and my mom. But I couldn't with all the Dauntless around.

I let out a sigh and walk over to the big, dark hole. I remember the first time I had jumped and how terrified I had been. I had no idea my life would come to this.

I climbed up, and jumped. The wind felt great against my skin and my hair. After I landed on the net, I pulled myself off.