3| Train

3| Train

Four leads the initiates down a wide tunnel. The walls are made of stone. I run my finger against it as I continue walking with the crowd. Being the only Amity, I felt like I stood out in my bright clothes. The rude boy named Jacob, with the hair across his forehead and who called me 'softie', keeps looking at me and snickering. I felt like punching him in the face.

Four stops walking abruptly, making us all bump into each other. Amber stumbles next to me. Four turns to face us. "Most of the time I work in the control room, but for the next few weeks, I am your instructor." He says. "Eric is a Dauntless leader that you will all meet later on."

We enter 'The Pit' is a huge underground cavern. There are no barriers to keep people from falling. I walk cautiously as we head to the chasm. I notice the tattoo peaking out from Four's shirt. As we get closer to the chasm, I hear water roaring and crashing against rocks.

"The chasm reminds us that there is a fine line between bravery and idiocy!" Four has to shout over the sound of crashing water. "A daredevil jump off this ledge will end your life. It has happened before."

We enter a room that is well lit. The dining room is full of people laughing, talking and eating. My stomach rumbles at the sight of food, and I remember that I haven't eaten since last night. I was far too nervous to eat breakfast this morning. Bad idea.

People turn their heads to look at us, and begin to applaud. Everywhere I look, I see people in black. Amber smiles, and a second later, so do I.

Amber and I find a empty table. As soon as we take a seat, a boy from Dauntless sits across from us. He wears a charming smile and looks friendly. He has ash blonde hair and brown eyes. His skin is slightly tanned.

"Hey Brendon!" Amber says. She must know him, maybe he transferred from Erudite.

Brendon returns the smile. "Hey Ambs'," He says to her. He looks at me and puts his hand out for me to shake. Another hand shake.

I grasp his hand. This time, I feel like I did better. "Skye," I say, and he nods.

"Great name for a Dauntless." He laughs, winking. I blush.

On the table is a platter of food. I recognize the hamburgers. I had only eaten one once before, but it was made out of vegetables. This one was made out of beef. I pick one up and put it on my plate. I scoop some broccoli and add that to my plate as well.

The cafeteria doors open with a loud bang, silencing everyone. I look over my shoulder. A young man walks in. He has blonde hair and cold green eyes. Two studs stick out from the top of his right eyebrow, and he has a small, thick gauge in his ear. I notice the tattoos coming up his neck, half covered by his jackets collar. He eyes the new faces one by one, and when they land on mine, I feel my body tense. He doesn't look away either.

I turn my head back to the front and stare down at my plate. Everyone continues talking again. "Who's that?" Amber hisses.

"That's Eric, a Dauntless leader." Brendon says, his eyes still on Eric who was coming towards us. Before I know it, he has slid in next to Brendon. "Well, aren't you going to introduce me?" He asks him, nodding to Amber and I who are obviously uncomfortable with his presence.

"This is Amber," He uses the end of his fork to point to us. "And Skye." Eric keeps his gaze on me, a menacing smile on his lips.

"Ooh, a Softie. Let's see how long you last." Then he gets up and walks away.

When I see where we will be sleeping, I feel nauseous. We have to share the dormitory and the bathroom with the boys. There was basically no privacy at all. Not even to shower or change.