17| Repel

17| Repel

For the few days or so, Tris continues to stay around me and feed me. She even sneaked me into her home while her parents were out. She let me shower, washed my clothes and fed me. It confused me so much as to why me. Why not all the other factionless?

I felt a bit guilty for those who couldn't have the same treatment I was having even after being factionless way longer than I have. But then again, I know I haven't done anything wrong either. I can't get over Eric and I don't sleep at night because Eric haunts me in my dreams.

Today was probably the last time I would see Tris. She was at the Choosing Ceremony and if she chose Dauntless, she wouldn't be able to see me anymore due to not being allowed out of the Dauntless HQ without a leader. And I knew she was going to choose Dauntless. It's all she ever talks about.

I pull the rug tightly around my body, shivering non-stop. It's freezing, I'm hungry and tired. Night time is the scariest time. I barely sleep but when I do, it's like I have one eye open.

I let out a breathy sigh. This is not how I want to live the rest of my life.

I hear cheering in the distance. I pull myself up and peak around the corner of the building. I watch all the people in black clothes running towards the train. Among the people, I see the familiar grey clothed girl standing out. She is behind them all, panting heavily.

Tris spots me and stops running. She stares at me with a sympathetic smile. I just nod at her and smile back. Tris looks forward again and continues running, taking the ladder up to the trains platform like I had the first time.

"Skylar?" My heart stops beating. I turn around hesitantly, my breathing ragged and my legs unsteady.

Anthony stares at me with a sadness in his eyes. He has horribly bagged under-eye circles, his hair looks like it's been pulled out with patches of it missing and he looks like he's been crying forever.

Tears immediately gather up in my eyes. "Don't come near me." My voice shakes.

Anthony takes a step forward. "Skylar, I-"

"I said don't fucking come near me!" I cry in anger, taking a step back. I look behind me and see that I am cornered. I look forward again and Anthony is a few steps away from me. I back up against the brick wall, crying as I realize I have no chance of escape. I sink to the ground, holding my hands over my face as if to protect myself.

I shriek as I feel Anthony's long fingers push away the side of my hair from my face. "Sh, it's okay." He coos as my body trembles. "I'm not going to hurt you. I love you."

I look up at him. He does look sorry. He look's like he's changed. I stand up and grab Anthony's hands. I weakly smile at him. He returns the smile, looking genuinely happy that I'm actually showing him I trust him.

But I don't. And I'll never forgive him.

I release my hands from his, ball my fist and throw the hardest punch I can muster directly into his face, before I start to sprint down the alley. I can hear Anthony cry in pain, before running after me, while calling my name at the same time. His footsteps sound so near me but I don't look back and run the fastest I've ever ran before-which is not that fast considering I barley have energy in me.

I gasp when I feel Anthony's hand land on my shoulder and tighten around the rug still around me. I quickly let go of the rug and let it drop in his hands. Anthony swears and starts chasing me again.

I heave as I run, my breath showing up in the air as white smoke due to the chilly weather. I quickly glance behind me and to my horror, Anthony is just an arms reach away.