Chapter 7

Blade watched as Aiesha tended to his distraught niece. How in the hell did he manage to scare her so much? He thought back to when he brought her over Lee's place. Maybe that wasn't the best idea, especially since he was trying to make a good first impression. He was trying his best to be nice, but everytime he would open his mouth his niece looked like she was about to start seizing.

"It's okay Nanami, I know you've been through a lot, honey. But I want you to know your uncle and I are here for you okay. You don't have to be afraid okay," Aiesha said smiling down at her.

Nanami finally calmed down a bit and just sat in Aiesha's embrace. Blade just looked at them for a second. How the hell did she do that? How did she always manage to know exactly what to say to make her feel better? The entire trip Nanami had been glued to Aiesha's side. He honestly didn't know what he would do if Aiesha wasn't there to help him. It was Ironic though, since Aiesha was the one who was terrified to get custody of his niece. He thought back to the day before they left for Japan to attend his sister's funeral.

                                                                                             |*|

"Babe I hope you know raising a child isn't easy. How aren't you the least bit nervous?" Aiesha asked putting down the book she was reading on her nightstand.

"Baby don't worry how hard could it be. Plus little Asian kids listen. I mean when I was little I listened"

Aiesha rolled her eyes at him.

"One. Race has absolutely no correlation to how good or bad a child is. Two. I highly doubt you, out of all children born on this earth were a good child," she said laughing.

"Whatchu mean I was hella good. I swear," he said climbing on top of her.

Aiesha frowned.

"Blade I'm serious. It's not like raising a cat. It's way more complicated. I mean what if she's not potty trained. What if she's like that kid off orphan? What if she's crazy?"

Blade began kissing her neck.

"I don't think she's any of those things. I know its a lot and I know we've been going through a lot... but... I really can't let my mom raise her," Blade said getting serious. "If my mom raises that girl she'll be done for. I know my sister wouldn't want that. She already lost her mom she should at least have a childhood," He said sitting up now.

Aiesha brushed her had up against his cheek and smiled. It wasn't everyday Blade was so caring. He knew he had to do better showing affection, especially since they were going to have a child living with them. He made the decision at that moment to be the best parental figure that girl would ever have. He was finally going to have it all, it'll be exactly how he always promised Aiesha things would be. They would raise his niece together and get married and have a few kids of their own. The only thing in his way now would be the Yakuza.

                                                                                     |*|

Blade snapped out of his thoughts and focused his attention back on his niece. She had stopped crying now but was still in Aiesha's arms. He tried to think of something to say to her that wouldn't make her start crying all over again.

"Do you want to watch tv?" He asked nervously.

Nanami stared at him for a second before nodding her head at him. He was relieved. Not many people could make him nervous, I mean he was a high ranking gang affiliate and here his nice was pimping him like he was some common whore. Blade looked through several shows that appeared on his television before finally thinking about spongebob. Every kid liked that show right? He thought to himself. Nanami seemed to relax. He noticed that even though she was more at ease she was leaning extremely close to Aiesha.

"I love this show Nanami," Aiesha said smiling.

"Really?" Nanami asked in surprise.

Blade glanced at the two of them for a second.

"Yeah! In fact this show came out for the first time when I was still a little kid."

"It's that old?"

Aiesha fake gasped.

"Well I'm not that old," she began to laugh.

And to Blade's amazement, Nanami actually laughed. He hadn't heard her laugh ever. He didn't know why but he was secretly jealous of Aiesha's likability. It wasn't just his niece she was able to charm, it was everyone that she ever encountered, to him it wasn't fair. Hell, a week ago she didn't even want Nanami to live with them and now it seemed as if they knew each other their entire lives. Blade heard the doorbell downstairs ring.

"Pizza's here," He said getting up.

He walked downstairs and paid the delivery guy and then headed back upstairs with the pizzas.

"Bon appetit ladies" Blade said smiling at both of them.

"Yay!"Aiesha said grabbing one of the boxes from him. "Did you bring any plates with you, babe?"

"No my hands were full. I'll go grab some".

"No don't worry about it, I'll grab it," She replied getting up and heading for the steps.

Blade was left alone with Nanami and stood silently holding the box of hot pizzas. Blade began to place the boxes on the bed near Nanami. She didn't even look at him as her eyes were fastened to the television. A small part of him was glad she was too busy watching cartoons to acknowledge him, at least she wasn't crying again. Aisesha finally came upstairs with plates cups and soda.

"It's a family dinner night!"Aiesha said with glee.

She seemed to be beaming all of a sudden. He wondered what could have changed in her in the moments she was downstairs.

"Let's watch a movie you guys!"Aiesha added.

"I wouldn't mind watching a movie. How about you Nanami?" Blade asked cautiously.

Nanami simply nodded her head. Blade smiled. Finally some lead way, he thought to himself. Aiesha distributed pizza to herself and Nanami and then turned on Frozen 2. Nanami seemed to be beaming when she saw the movie come on. He had to admit, it was a genius choice on Aiesha's point. If there was any doubt before, he was sure she was Nanami's favorite. Both Nanami and Aiesha fell asleep during the movie so Blade decided to clean up. He paused in the doorway to take in the sight of his niece and his girlfriend peacefully sleeping together. It was nice. He had to admit, Aiesha was right about them making a cute family. He frowned, but for how long? He had taken some time off from his duties to resettle his niece into this new life, but he knew the head of his family would be contacting him soon to start his job again. He brushed off the thought not wanting to think about anything negative for the moment. He just wanted to be present. He took a picture of their sleeping forms before picking Nanami up and carrying her in her own room for the time being. When he came back to the room he noticed that Aiesha was awake and waiting for him.

"Good job baby," Aishea said to him as he climbed into the bed beside her.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean good job redeeming yourself for today".

"Oh".

"Oh?"

"I don't really feel like I did much. I think she still hates me honestly. But you, man she loves you".

Aiesha smiled at his comment clearly pleased that she had become a positive factor in his niece's life.

"This may actually work out for us. I mean I had my doubts before but might actually be able to do this," Aiesha said with a smile.

Blade gave her a reassuring smile.

"Well get some rest, after tomorrow we're headed back to Florida-"

"Aww please do not remind me. Just let me enjoy this for a while. Please," She said not letting him finish.

He frowned. He knew how badly she wanted him to completely settle down, but if it was that easy he would have done it years ago. He kissed Aiesha on the forehead since it seemed as if she was already falling back to sleep. Blade took a glimpse of the manila folder Lee had given him and pondered on what it was for a moment before falling asleep himself.