Chapter 15

Leigh spent so much time to straighten her hair to perfection. Looking at her reflection, she admired how her sleek long bob hair and red lipstick gave her a fierce look. Kailangan niya maging fierce at ikahon muna ang pretty looks niya.

Alice's wedding was fast approaching and Leigh had been feeling conflicted and overwhelmed with the things happening around.

Earlier that day, nagkausap sila ni Mark tungkol sa pag-invite ni Phil ng dinner sa kanya.

"Should I go? I mean, why would he invite me to a dinner.." Leigh asked dumbly kaya hindi na siya na-offend when she heard Mark's laugh.

"I know ang tanga lang ng tanong ko. But can you blame me? I'm always on the edge these past few days."

Mark shrugged. "Probably wala lang yan," but he thought otherwise. Alam niyang mangyayari na ang kinatatakutan niya. Phil would finally admit his feelings towards Leigh. At wala siyang magagawa doon. If the circumstances were different, he's pretty sure Leigh and him would hit it off. Kung mas nauna lang niyang nakilala si Leigh. He liked her.

"Maybe this will be our last dinner with each other. You know, pre-break up dinner to reminisce everything and all," Leigh jested. How she wished  tonight would be just a simple dinner.

Mark reached for her hand and squeezed it. Letting her know that he would always be there for her .

Lilipas din 'tong nararamdaman ko... he said mentally.

Leigh shook her head to clear out her mind at muling sumulyap sa salamin.

"This won't do," she said at her reflection not quiet satisfied with her lipstick. She dabbed another coat. Her lips were bloody red now and she felt satisfied.

Armed with her fierce look, nabawasan ng konti ang anxiety na nararamdaman niya sa pagharap muli kay Phil. Truly, she's not really ready to face him. After everything that happened, she finally admitted to herself that she had fallen in love with  him. And seeing him tonight would make it even worse dahil baka hindi na niya mapigilan ang sarili at maamin niya dito ang tunay na nararamdaman.

But the image of Stella and her unborn child huanted her.

Leighton just think about Stella. You need to be firm. No use of acting selfish.

With those words she strutted out from her room to face her great battle tonight.

The whole place was perfect and Leigh thought it was intimate.  Waiting for her at the corner was Phil with a smile and gentle look in his eyes.

"You look stunning and very beautiful  Leigh." He whispered after giving her a kiss on the cheeks.

I was supposed to look fierce - not stunning or beautiful.

Still stunned, Phil led her to their table and that's when she noticed someone playing the piano at the far corner of the restaurant. It set the romantic ambiance. Hindi ito ang inaasahan ni Leigh. It's too romantic and sweet for their fake relationship.

Umupo na sila at naging abala ang waiter sa paghanda ng pagkain.

"I hope I'm not freaking you out with this dinner," sabi ni Phil. Nahimigan ng dalaga ang kaba sa boses ni Phil. So hindi lang pala siya ang uncomfortable sa dinner na ito.

Inilibot niya ang paningin. "Well, I like it here pero  sana man lang hindi mo pinareserve ang buong lugar. A simple dinner will  do."

"I want this night to be just us. Walang istorbo at walang mga lalaking nagpapacute sa'yo."

Hindi alam ni Leigh kung matatawa o ano. Pero hindi na niya mapigilang matawa sa sinabi ni Phil. Because of that nagkaroon ng 360 ang buong atmosphere. Nakalimutan ni Leigh ang purpose ng fierce look niya. Wala na rin ang nerbyos ni Phil.

The course of the meal was done fluidly and Leigh felt she was somewhere lost on one of the pages of a fairytale book. Sumayaw din  sila after eating the sumptous dinner.

"May dumi ba sa mukha ko?" Tanong ni Leigh kay Phil dahil medyo nailang siya sa seryosong titig nito.

Hinaplos ni Phil ang mukha niya na animo'y isa siyang babasaging kristal.

"I don't think I can last a day with out seeing you Leigh. You're all I think everyday... and thinking about life with out you makes me mad and crazy."

Leigh placed her hand over his that was caressing her face at the moment.  How did things ended up here, Leigh didn't know.

"I have always been attracted to you Leigh. Heck! You're the only woman I feel this way. Kahit noong una pa kitang nakitang naglalakad sa pathwalk ng University habang habol-habol ng isang manliligaw mo, I  was interested with you... You know and God knows how I hate commitments and dating in general but I don't  quiet understand why I'm doing this with you Leigh. Perhaps... you're an exception. My only exception."

Is he declaring his love to me? Totoo ba ito? Maraming gustong sabihin si Leigh pero she couldn't form any coherent sentence dahil sa daming bagay na tumatakbo sa isip niya. Phil was even looking at her expectantly.

"I... I don't know what to say," she managed a soft whisper. Phil smiled handsomely and it struck her heart big time.

Alam niyang gwapo si Phil but never siyang nakaramdam ng ganitong paghanga sa kagwapuhan niya. Dahil siguro sa pagmamahal kaya lalo niyang nakikita ang mga bagay na dati ay hindi naman niya pinapansin.

"Then you don't have to say anything," Phil pulled her for a hug. It was a very nice feeling. She felt secured in his arms. Ang mga kamay niya sa gilid ay aakmang yakapin din si Phil pero nahagip ng mga mata niya ang isang pamilyar na pigura. Sana'y nanatili siyang nakapikit di sana niya nakita ang anyo ni Stella.

Out of the corner, malapit sa exit ng restaurant nakatayo si Stella. Stella was... crying. Pinunasan nito ang mga luhang dumaloy sa mukha. Leigh's heart constricted in pain.

How could she enjoy the moment when somebody was out there hurting.

Napansin siguro ni Stella na nakatingin siya sa direksyon nito kaya dali-dali itong umalis. Eksakto namang humiwalay sa kanya sa Phil. His face was full of emotion habang nakatitig sa kanya.

"Leighton Santiago please be my----"

"Si Stella," she cut him off  "you need to follow her."

Confusion masked his face that's why she continued. "I think she's upset at baka mapano siya. So you better follow and check on her."

"Why would I do that? I mean she's fine. We talked before the dinner and she's perfectly okay." Sagot nito na parang nagugulohan pa rin. At doon na nagalit si Leigh. She could not believe that she would love someone like him. A total jerk and an insensitive brute!

"Well hindi siya okay ngayon. I saw her leaving so follow her baka mapano pa ang baby!"

He was rendered speechless for a second and realization hit him.

"Shit!" He cursed at mabilis na umalis upang sundan si Stella.

Leighton Santiago was left heartbroken and alone. Hindi na rin niya napigilan ang mga luhang gustong kumawala.

"You did the right thing Leighton."

Tama nga ba?