Acceptance

Cherry's POV

It's March.

Time for me to open my letter from SFIT about my entrance exams.

Sitting alone in my dingy apartment, sitting cross legged on my old wooden chair with a wobbly leg with Bella nuzzling my hanging foot, I hold in my hands a thick letter addressed to me from the Institute.

Does thick mean good, or bad? Tadashi never told me; I never asked.

Sensing my unease, Bella whines beneath me and I lean over and stroke her absent-mindedly, my hand slightly shaky as I clutch my letter in the other.

I take a deep breath and seal it in my lungs, foolishly hoping it will give me more luck. Foolish me thinking luck is real.
But my hard work is, and I hope with everything in the world it's paid off right now.

I rip the end of the letter gingerly, slowly peeling it open as if an ogre will come out of it and devour me. Once it's fully open I tip it to one side and hold out my hand to catch the falling papers.

I turn the papers until I can read the top paper. My hands tremble, but I can just about read it...

Dear Cherry Riegan,
We have looked through your application and personal statement, and are delighted to offer you a conditional place at our institution. Due to your extenuating circumstances regarding your previous education and economical issues... student loans... additional pressure would be placed upon you at our annual Showcase after your exams... we would be glad to see you study with us...

I breathe out quickly, the sentences beating everything out of me.
I'm almost paralysed with shock.
I blink, and read the first paragraph again, thinking I must have read it wrong.

But no.
I read it again, then the whole letter, then I look underneath at the other papers.
Forms. Letter templates. Lists. Information.

I look up, tears brewing and sliding down my cheeks. I laugh suddenly, making Bella tilt her head questioningly at me.

I'm going to take the entrance exams to SFIT!

I look around me and see my phone lying on the table, and reach across the chair and grab it. I dial Tadashi's number and he almost immediately picks up.
I don't care how I sound right now; I'm too happy to care.

"Yes?" I hear, and I shout down the phone with an elation that pours out of me:
"I GOT THE OFFER!"
"Wait, really?!" I hear in a happy voice, "That's amazing Cherry! I knew you would-!"

"We need to batten down the hatches Tadashi!" I interrupt harshly down the phone, all of my happy tone disappearing in a flash as I realise that now is time for even harder rules and studying. "You need to come over as soon as possible and help me study for the entrance exams and my invention for the showcase. They sent me lists of topics for each exam so we can examine them and revise about them in order of-"

"Cherry?" I hear, and I can't believe he has the audacity to interrupt me.
"What?!"
I hear a shuffle on the other end, then Tadashi starts talking in a gentler voice - that tone always gets me.
"Cherry, I really think you should celebrate before you disappear for a month studying. You did something amazing and this is your reward - now your reward for this reward is to chill out for a bit."

I pause then shuffle in my chair, petting Bella and sucking my cheeks. He carries on:
"I know it's hard for you, but even if it's just one day, would that be so bad? One day of celebration, one day of carefree. After everything that's happened and everything you've done, that's not too much is it? You deserve it."

Silence. I pick at a small knot in Bella's hair, thinking.

Maybe... maybe it wouldn't be asking that much? It wouldn't be like I'm betraying my work. It would just be one day.
I guess I need it.

To mask my acceptance I sigh mock irritably down the phone.
"I guess," I say in a really fake voice, "but afterwards I can have catnaps, I can study for as long as I feel is necessary each day, and I can command you to do anything that helps me. You got that?"
Tadashi sighs on the other end, but in a relieved tone.
"Got it. Totally got it. I will do anything for you. Within reason, of course."
"Good. Now, I'm going to go to sleep. Goodnight."

And I hang up in the middle of him saying goodnight - in case I say something I'd regret later.

I put the phone down and think about it, then shrug and stand up from where I'm stroking Bella. She lifts up her fluffy head and follows me as I go into my bedroom and start to change into my pyjamas, just a large shirt.

I'm just doing this relaxing thing once. And it was high time anyway, it wasn't like I listened to Tadashi and did what he wanted. It's not like I want to do what he wants.

I put on my nightshirt, and look down in mild shock as I realise...

It's one of Tadashi's shirts...
Did I steal this from his house?
Have I been using this? Every night?

What does this mean?