One Step Closer To The Fluff We're All Searching For

Cherry's POV

Since Tadashi told me he was pretending to teach me to see me and I ran away, I haven't seen him. I go to work every day at 6am, I set up the cafe, I study - the twins bought me some new books and I am forever in their debt - I serve customers, I talk to Tonya and Antoni; I live my glum and monotonous life.

But it seems a little more glum and monotonous than before...

Tadashi's POV

I sigh again, leaning against my desk. Hiro's head pops into my view and I give him the side-eye before burying my head in my arms. I feel Hiro poking my arm with a pen and pull my head up to meet his disconcerting eyes, "What do you want Hiro?"

"What's up with you? It's Halloween, you're meant to be happy!"
I groan and get up, drooping towards my bed and collapsing on it in a dramatic way. I sigh again as Hiro starts whining and jumping on top of me.
"Tadashi! It's Halloween! That means you have to be happy and you have to take me trick-or-treating!" I groan again - I almost forgot. My little brother has such a grown up brain, how come he still indulges in little kid activities?

"Ta-da-shi!" he yells over and over in my ear, until I decide I won't get any peace tonight and get up with Hiro squealing and clinging to my shoulders. He tells me to go higher, and momentarily I forget about Cherry and amuse myself jumping up and down and watching Hiro's big head wiggling back and forth laughing hysterically.
"Okay, come on then," I cave, and let my brother drop to the ground and celebrate, "but only for a while - I promised Honey Lemon I'd go to a party at Fred's house."

Hiro mock pouts, then regains his usual cheeky grin and pushes me out our room telling me I'm not allowed to see his costume. I shake my head, laughing fondly, and walk downstairs with my hands in my pockets, mind turning back to Cherry. I step into the kitchen and Aunt Cass asks if I'll have anything before I go out. Shaking my head, I walk to sink into the couch and turn on the TV.

After about ten minutes - way too long to choose a Halloween costume - Hiro bounds down the stairs in a large handmade Rubik's Cube and runs to Aunt Cass who's holding his trick-or-treating bag and smiling warmly at her nephew. I can't help but smile too - this was his secret project over October that I wasn't allowed to see in his side of the room? I mean, it's not like he's failing in his exams, but watching my little brother strut up and down the room like a fashion model I laugh out loud at how such an adult child can still act like a born child!

"Come on then," I move down the steps to the front door and collect my keys and jacket. Hiro whoops and leaps down the stairs, nearly falling over himself in his haste, and pulls open the door and starts tugging on my jacket. I laugh at my impertinent little brother and let myself get dragged along by him, waving to Aunt Cass and promising him home a half hour after dark.

Cherry's POV

I sit at my weathered table and drink in the information tables printed on the thick pages. I hear a repetitive noise close to me and look down to realise that I'd been drumming my pen against the table, slowly but surely making a groove in the wood again. I rub at the mark tiredly, noticing all the other marks and stains and general age; I really can't afford a new one, worst luck as always.

I stare out the window near me and sigh. Tonight's Halloween, and I can see from my flat the children in groups of friends or with guardians rushing from house to house to collect candy and show off their costumes. It looks so fun.
I for once let myself drift off into a faint memory of when I used to dress up and beg my mother to take me to every single house in case the street was skimping on the sweets. I let myself smile as I remember the doors opening and the adults smiling down at me with a bowl of chews and lollipops cooing at how my mom had finally painted a butterfly face on me after me asking a bunch of times.