Chapter 2

Regardless of her mental state, Morgan arrived to work on time. It surprised her to see her best friend Amber waiting at her desk.

Before she could say anything, Amber handed her a note.

"What's this?" Morgan asked inquisitively.

"Read it." Amber shoved it into Morgan's hand.

What we shared on New Year's Eve has been on my mind. Meet me at the place where everyone is kind.

"It's the mystery man from the party. He wants to formally meet you. Or make out with you again." Amber shrugged her shoulders.

Morgan rolled her eyes. "Shush. He doesn't want to make out again. And I appreciate his rhyming skills, but I don't know if I want to meet him."

"What! Why not?"

"Don't act so surprised. I told you he was arse. He kissed me and ran like a scared cat. And if you are so intrigued about all this, why don't you go meet him." Morgan sat down in her chair and handed the note back to Amber.

"Duh. He didn't kiss me. You have been saying lately how you need a new adventure. Well, here it is. Right in front of your face."

"I meant traveling somewhere new. Maybe asking to write the travel section again. Not a new relationship."

Amber sat the piece of paper on Morgan's desk. "Okay but keep the note, just in case." Amber smiled and walked to her post at the reception area.

Morgan studied his nice penmanship and decent attempt at poetry. She wondered if he was one of the staff writers. Not that she would have had the chance to find out. Her recent promotion from travel writer to an editor's assistant moved her up a floor and didn't allow much time for her to leave her cubicle. And Ignite Magazine wasn't much for executive employees befriending the writers.

Morgan's boss reminded her daily that editors and their assistants had to make tough decisions on the final publishing of articles. Morgan thought it sort of made sense. Editing mark ups left feelings hurt and friendships ruined. She saw it happen before at her previous job with the newspaper. She suspected that was why writers had their own floor in the building.

Morgan opened her email and tried to focus on something else. She failed miserably. His attempt at poetry was sweet but confusing. If she wanted to meet him, how would she know where to go? She pondered the question but couldn't think of anywhere that people were kind on the executives' third floor.

"Yes, ma'am. How may I help you?" Amber's cheerful voice came through the receiver.

"Let's say I want to meet him. Where would someone go to find kind people in this building?" Morgan asked nonchalantly.

"So, you will meet him. I'm glad. Time for you to get out there."

Morgan huffed. "I didn't say that. I asked because you know everything about everything in this building."

"I will take that as a compliment. And don't be defensive. I am just trying to be a supportive best friend."

"I know and I'm sorry. I appreciate that".

"Good. Now if I was looking for kind people in this building, I would go where the caffeine is. I have never met an angry person at the lobby coffee stand. Except if they haven't had a cup yet."

"Good to know. I may go get myself a refill. I haven't slept much the past few days."

Amber giggled. "I bet you haven't. Let me know how it goes."

Morgan hung up and took a deep breath. She let her boss know she would grab a refill of coffee and headed towards the elevator.

The line at the coffee stand was long, and Morgan considered bailing on the plan to meet. She walked to the end of the line, glancing at her coworkers. She didn't see anyone that looked like the man who had kissed her.