04. The Joy Of Reunions

Start from the beginning

The rest of the members of the court mill about. Nobility of all ages and rank gathered as they always did, but unlike every other day when they would be conversing cordially about trade endeavors or personal affairs, every mouth is filled with questions about the current situation between Elios and Mirador, as well as the whereabouts of the missing princess who was supposed to return days ago.

The king is bent over the side of his throne, rubbing his forehead tiredly. "You should head back to your chambers for rest, sire. You haven't been in the best of health as of late," his advisor tells him, clearly concerned.

The king shakes his head, leaning back against his throne and heaving a loud sigh. "How can I rest when the kingdom is in disarray? I know not even if my daughter is dead or alive."

His advisor lowers his head, nodding in understanding. Everyone knows that the king treasures his daughter as much as his own throne, up to the point where his majesty has lost sleep waiting for the princess' return.

Not long after that, they're interrupted when a young herald scurries to the entrance of the throne room, bellowing, "Your majesty, Princess Saeron has arrived at the castle in good health and condition!"

The mood of the court perks up significantly upon hearing of the princess' return. Members of the court turn to one another, chatting animatedly while the king releases a loud sigh of relief.

"She's the strongest woman in the kingdom after all," his advisor adds, an evident smile stretching across his face as he sees her striding in through the entrance of the throne room.

The king's expression visibly brightens, immediately getting up on his feet as Saeron approaches him. Suddenly all the other voices in the courtyard fall to a hush and all eyes fall onto the young woman entering the room.

Luscious black locks of hair, sharp eyes determined, long but graceful strides. Elios' pride, as her father has always called her.

She gets down on one knee at the bottom of the throne, the robes on her body that used to shimmer and glow under the lights now covered with dirt and stains of blood. She bows her head in reverence. "My apologies for worrying you, father." Her voice comes out slightly raspy, exhaustion evident in her tone.

The king steps down from his throne, taking quick steps towards where she's knelt on the ground before leaning down and enveloping her in his arms. His immaculate clothes graze against hers, but he pulls her closer, stroking the back of her head longingly.

"Thank the heavens," he breathes into her hair. When they finally pull away, the king brushes away a strand of hair that falls over her eyes, taking in all the tiny cuts and faint bruises on her face. "Did King Taeyong catch up to you? Did they hold you captive again?"

The princess smiles, taking her father's wrinkled hand into hers. "S'nothing like that," she answers. "I was injured, and a villager was kind enough to help me."

At that, chatters erupt among the members of the court, bouncing off the walls and wrapping up the room in low echoes. The king himself looks surprised, but he nods, grateful. "Whoever this kind villager is, I pray the Gods bless him abundantly."

Saeron turns towards the man standing beside the throne, greeting him with a smile. "Welcome home," the advisor says with a curt bow.

"Namjoon," She acknowledges him with a tilt of her head.

She turns back to her father. "My apologies for facing the court in such an... unpleasant condition. I just wanted to reassure you—"

"Darling, is that you?" She's cut off when she hears the sound of shoes click-clacking against the marble tiles before hearing the familiar voice of her mother calling for her. She glances over her shoulder and sure enough, the queen is striding towards her, robes of golden silk fluttering behind her. Saeron notes that she looks older, more tired. And she takes the queen into her arms. "My love, we were worried sick!"