Chapter 11

In the weeks that followed things got back to their usual flow. You attended your classes and seminars, often tired from teaching Wakatoshi the night before.

On the weekends you went to your part-time job and after your classes, you regularly went to watch volleyball practice. You enjoyed spending time with Michael as he taught you about the game.

Before you realized it, Christmas was around the corner. You took a weekend off from work and arranged to go Christmas shopping with Marie.

You met her in town on Saturday and went for breakfast first.

"Do you need a lot of gifts?" She asked you curiously as you sat down at a table for two.

"Not that many." You replied. "Just for my family. Things that are easy to send through the mail."

"You're not going home for the holidays?" Marie exclaimed surprised.

You shook your head. "I really need to catch up on my studies. I missed some of my morning classes."

Marie nodded, understanding.

"You do at least have some decorations and a tree right? It's going to feel really lonely without."

"I was planning on buying some today." You reassured her. "Just not a tree, my appartement is tiny you know."

Marie chuckled. "They have tiny trees nowadays, silly. Tiny trees and tiny decorations for a tiny apartment."

You eyed her sceptically. "We'll see how expensive those are, I'm obviously not rich."

"So, you're only buying gifts for your family?" Marie changed the subject. "Not for your friends?"

"I'm not buying you a present while you're here with me. That would ruin the surprise. But of course, I'm buying you something." You almost felt offended that she would think otherwise.

"You'd better! I wasn't talking about me, I meant your other friends." She finished the last of her coffee and started gathering her bag and coat to leave.

You did the same while pondering an answer. "You think I should get Michael something? I don't really know him that well, apart from that he plays volleyball."

"Yeah sure, you can get him something." Marie sounded disinterested. "But I was talking about Ushi you numbnut."

Of course that was what she was talking about.

"It would cost too much to send him a gift. Maybe I'll send him a card." You pondered for a moment. "I don't know his address though."

Marie elbowed your side. "Perfect excuse to ask him!"

"I'm just an online acquaintance, that would be weird, wouldn't it?"

"Just tell him you want to send him a card. It would ruin the surprise though." Marie shrugged. Then she pointed at a store and pulled you along. "I want to buy something for my brother here."

Your shopping trip continued for a little while without any mention of your Japanese friend. You had already bought some gifts for your family when you found yourself in a card shop. You were picking out an appropriate card for your parents when you felt your phone vibrate.

'Don't forget to buy me something for Christmas! ( ゚∀゚)っ由'

It was a message from Satori, followed by another one with his dorm address. Which meant that, since they were roommates, you now also had Wakatoshi's dorm address.

You looked at the small pile of cards already in your basket. A few more couldn't hurt right?

You took one for your parents and then started the search for a card that Satori would like.

You decided on two matching cards, one with a penguin for Satori and one with a polar bear cub for Wakatoshi. The animals were both holding a big snowball.

You considered getting one for Oikawa as well, but you didn't know his dorm room, or if he even stayed at the same dorm as the others at all, so you decided to just wish him merry Christmas on Line instead.

You met up with Marie after both of you had the cards you needed.

"I'd like to go find something for Michael at a sports store, do you want to join me?" You asked her.

She had to think for a moment but then nodded. "My mom got into yoga recently, I'll see if I can find her something."

The two of you went into the nearest sports store and then went your separate ways. She went to the fitness section, while you made your way to the ball sports.

As you arrived at the volleyball aisle you realised you had no idea what Michael could use. You didn't even know what most of the stuff was and the things you did know, like balls and a net, were way too expensive to give to someone you had met barely a month ago.

In the end you settled for a keychain with a volleyball at the end. It was flat and as you realized it would perfectly fit in an envelope you decided to take two of them.

"Hey look at this!" You heard Marie call out behind you. When you turned around you saw that she had a bunch of tiny volleyballs with her.

"They're Christmas ornaments! Aren't they cute?" She showed you the handful of ornaments she had brought with her.

"You should get them to decorate your tiny tree with! And then show Ushi!" 

You had to admit they were adorable, so you decided to take three of the yellow and blue ones and three of the red, green, and white ones.

As Marie handed you the little balls she noticed the keychains in your hand. She raised an eyebrow. "Two of them?"

"One's for Wakatoshi." You hated to admit to her.

"Aha! So you are giving him something! Did you change your mind about asking for his address?" Marie was obviously elated.

"I didn't actually. Satori gave me his dorm address half an hour ago and since he shares his dorm with Wakatoshi..."

Marie grinned. "I like how this Satori guy thinks. We'd make a great team together."

You couldn't help but shudder at the thought. You were pretty sure that Marie and Satori would make an excellent team for butting into your life, but you were sure you were not ready for that.

You took another look at the keychains before making your way to the register.

'It's just a Christmas present for a friend, nothing more nothing less. Right?'

-----

A/N :

Hi guys!

I accidentally published this chapter before it was finished, then unpublished it. I'm sorry if I caused confusion! <(_ _)>

This chapter was difficult for me to write because I have a clear vision where the story is going, I'm just not sure how to get there. So hang in there with me as I figure it out! (ー_ーゞ

As always, thank you for reading! (≧∇≦)/