16

As September rolled in, Edward finally found employment. It took awhile – clerks came much cheaper than Edward was willing to settle for as wages, and in the end, it took Edward's father calling in a few favors and granting a few more for someone to offer Edward a job.

I could tell he wasn't pleased with the situation at all. Though he never said as much, I knew he chafed at the idea of owing anybody anything. He was already bristling at having to ride his father's coattails.

"...And the worst part," he continued to rant as I watched him fiddle with his tie on his first morning on the job, "is that I'm not making nearly as much as I could doing something else, and yet I have to be grateful for 'the opportunity' because it's only a favor."

I struggled valiantly to keep a straight face, because he could see me in the mirror, sitting on the bed behind him – but eventually he noticed me shaking with laughter and scowled – which only made me laugh harder.

"Oh, Edward." I stood and went to him, smoothing down his vest. "It's just a job, remember? It's only until you've satisfied your father, not forever. And most importantly, I'll wait for you. You don't have to make all the money in the world so you can rush me to the altar. I'll still be here."

My pep talk had the desired effect – Edward's mouth twitched in his involuntary smile, and I felt his shoulders relax under my hands.

"Maybe you can wait," he said, "but I'm not sure I can."

"You'll just have to remember that patience is a virtue," I said, stretching up on my toes to kiss him. "And I am, after all, the guardian of your virtue. You'd best listen to me."

Edward snorted, though he held our bodies close together. "I'm beginning to think that you're the lousiest possible guardian of my virtue I could have found. I find myself nearly compromised at every turn."

"Pot, kettle," I said succinctly, pointing to him and myself in turn. "Now, I believe you have approximately twenty minutes. You'd better get moving."

He reluctantly moved away and pulled his jacket over his shoulders. Dressed up like a proper businessman, he did look devastatingly handsome. His navy blue jacket and trousers stood out in perfect contrast to his coppery hair; a striped vest emphasized his lean, solid torso; and the tie was like a ribbon on the beautiful package waiting to be opened. I was no more keen on his leaving than he was.

"I'll see you when I get home," he sighed, kissing me one last time.

"Looking forward to it," I said as I followed him down to the front door. He shot me a grin over his shoulder before he went out into the street.

While the men were gone, Elizabeth tried to teach me to knit. It was incredibly domestic, and I wasn't sure I really liked it. I'd never been very good at domestication.

"Don't worry, it didn't come naturally to me, either," Elizabeth said, struggling not to laugh at the tangled mess I'd made of my yarn. Somehow I'd formed a pile of knots in my lap instead of a row of stitches like I was supposed to have.

"I've never been much good at this sort of thing," I sighed, flexing my tired fingers that had spent hours clutching a needle. "You know, crafty things. All I can really do is cook."

"Well, that's the important one," Elizabeth laughed. "Edward won't mind that you can't darn his socks if he's well-fed."

I sputtered in my shock, to which she smiled gently. "Yes, Bella, I know. Edward told me he wanted to marry you – but even if he hadn't, I would have known. I can read my son like an open book. And that's why I know that you're exactly what he needs. I'm glad to know he'll have you looking after him."