5

After we returned from the market, I found myself sitting in the parlor with Edward and his mother, waiting for his father to arrive home from work. His mother was knitting what appeared to be a sock. I couldn't follow what she was doing; things that required hand-eye coordination weren't usually my forte. I tried to read a book I'd retrieved from the small library, but I couldn't concentrate on the text. My eyes and thoughts continually turned to Edward, who sat across from me, also reading. He seemed to have no trouble focusing.

I heard a rumble outside and looked up as the other two did.

"That will be your father," Mrs. Masen murmured, and I realized the sound was an engine. A very old-fashioned engine. My Edward would be horrified at the ruckus it made.

Elizabeth's eyes darted to me, and she offered a warm smile before turning her eyes back to the front entryway. Neither would say a word, but I knew Edward and his mother were nervous to introduce me to him. I wondered how he would take the appearance of a random stranger in his home. Edward had never told me much about him, other than that he was a lawyer; I don't think he remembered much.

The front door opened, and Edward and his mother both stood. I followed suit, unsure of myself. What was the proper etiquette for introductions in this decade? Why had I spent so much time reading about the Regency Era and passed over this crucial time period? I wanted to kick myself, but I would probably end up doing damage to the parlor furniture.

Footsteps reached the doorway, and I had my first glimpse of Edward's father. He had light brown hair and brown eyes, rather plain, actually, but his face was pleasant and gentle. He was young still, but wrinkles had started to form on his brow and around his mouth, and his hair grayed at the temples. A high widow's peak suggested he was balding as well. I could see that he would have been very handsome in his twenties, and I hoped his kind appearance matched his personality.

"Edward, darling," Elizabeth said, stepping forward to place a hand on my shoulder. "This is Bella Swan. She'll be staying with us for a while."

"Pleasure to meet you, Sir," I said conventionally, doing an awkward move between a nod and a curtsy. He nodded back politely and I watched his eyes flash to Edward, then back to me, and finally to his wife.

"Would you accompany me to the kitchen, darling?" Elizabeth said quickly, reaching for her husband's arm. "I want you to try the sauce. I'm not sure you'll like it..."

She had him out of the room before she finished her sentence, and I sat back down with relief. I didn't want to know what he would say about his wife taking in a girl off the street.

Edward smiled at me, still standing. "Don't worry. My mother decides everything in this household, and my father tends to go along with whatever she wants." His smile turned softer, fonder as he glanced to the doorway where his parents had left.

I smiled to myself, thinking how much Edward's parents reminded me of Alice and Jasper, or even Rosalie and Emmett. I wondered if that was the reason he felt content with only his family for so many decades...maybe he was living out the time he'd missed with his parents, parents that he could no longer remember.

"Do you want to talk about it, Bella?" Edward asked. I looked back to find his eyes trained intently on me, and it took me a moment to realize what he was talking about.

"Later," I said, hoping he would understand. He glanced toward the kitchen again and nodded.

"After dinner, then. We could go for a walk, if you like."

"Perfect," I said, relieved. That would buy me time to create my story. I obviously couldn't tell him the truth, or anything close to it. I could just picture his face. "Well, Edward, as it turns out, I left you behind, 90 years in the future. We're madly in love and we just got married. Oh, and did I mention you're a vampire and you're going to make me one, too?" That would go over well enough to get me sent to the asylum, I was sure. Maybe Carlisle could spring me...