With that thought, two things clicked simultaneously in my mind. Carlisle was here, in this time and place – and he was already a vampire. If I could find him, I could tell him everything... He might consider me a lunatic at first, but I would know things about his past that a mere lunatic couldn't. He would have to believe me. And then, maybe, he could help me, somehow. It would be wonderful, at the very least, to talk to someone about this.

It would be hard to get to Carlisle, though. He would work nights, to avoid the sunlight, and who knows where he would be working...it would be hard to get out of the house at night without anyone knowing. But if I could, I might find a way back...

A bell interrupted my plans, and I realized Edward was still watching me carefully. I offered him what was likely an unconvincing smile.

"Dinner is ready," he said, again offering his arm to me.

"You have a dinner bell?" I said, hoping to make Edward forget whatever he was speculating about. I knew the look he'd had, and it usually meant he was on to me.

He smiled, but I had a feeling my attempt had failed. "We're usually scattered all around the house at mealtimes. It's the easiest way to get us all to the table."

"Oh," I said lamely, letting him lead me into the dining room. His parents were already seated, and Edward pulled out a chair along one side of the rectangular table for me. His parents sat at either end, and Edward seated himself across from me.

"I hope you don't mind, Bella, but we don't do things very formally around here," Edward's mother said, passing me a plate of what appeared to be chicken.

"Not at all," I said, serving myself as everyone else helped themselves to another dish. It was a great relief, actually. "I'm not used to a formal atmosphere as it is. I would most likely make a complete fool of myself."

I realized I was being overly honest, as usual, and shut my mouth, but everyone laughed.

"All the better, then," Edward's father said, handing me a heaping plate of noodles. "I tend to make a fool of myself as well."

I couldn't help returning his friendly smile, and I caught Edward watching with interest. I wished, not for the first time, that I had my Edward's mind-reading powers. Especially to use against him.

"So, Bella," his father said, "my wife tells me you've come all the way from Washington. What brings you to Chicago?"

"I'm just looking for a fresh start," I lied. "There was nothing left for me in Washington."

"I'm surprised you didn't want to go somewhere more glamorous. Why not sunny California?" he replied jokingly, but I knew he wanted a serious answer to his question.

"I don't do well with the sun." Again, I lied, but I hoped my pale skin would convince them. "And I'm not really a glamorous sort of girl. I'd rather just...blend in."

"I would, too," Edward murmured, so softly I almost didn't hear, but as I glanced at him across the table, I knew that he meant it for my ears. There was something new in his eyes as he met mine.

It scared the hell out of me.

Edward cornered me as soon as we left the dining room.

"Ready for our walk?" he asked. Was his eagerness what I thought it was?

He led me down the surprisingly pleasant streets. The sun was starting to set, and the elderly were sitting outside their houses, while children played in the street. I supposed we were in a very upscale part of Chicago, where crime and suffering were much less apparent.

"You don't have to talk if you don't want to," Edward said, his eyes straight ahead. "I just thought...it might help."

I nodded my understanding. Maybe it would help, if only to ease my pain... "We were childhood sweethearts," I began, reciting the story I'd cooked up over dinner. "We had always planned to get married, but his parents didn't approve of me. They wanted someone more...polished for their son. So they sent him off to private school, forcing him to leave me behind. He thought it would be alright...he said he would go to make sure we'd have the best life possible together. My parents died while he was away...I had to start working, and that was definitely not the kind of woman his parents would accept. The next time he came home, he had a beautiful blonde on his arm. We never spoke again."

I let out a deep breath, pleased with my creative capabilities but also discussed for lying to Edward. It was nothing resembling the truth, but hopefully convincing enough for this time.

Edward shocked me, taking my hand in his and squeezing gently. "I'm sorry, Bella. But he didn't deserve you."

"Why do you say that?" I questioned, surprised at the tingles the filled my palm at his touch.

"He should have fought for you." His voice was low, earnest. "I would have."

I felt the blush coloring my face and turned my head away, unsure. This was happening so fast, and I didn't know if it was right.

"What was his name?" he asked a moment later, probably trying to break the tension with an easy question. I scrambled for a name.

"Jacob Black," I blurted out, and then regretted it instantly. My wince probably served to solidify my story, though.

"Well, he wasn't right for you," he said darkly. "The right person would do anything you asked, unquestioningly."

I wondered if he knew just how pertinent his words were. "I know that now," I managed to say.

"Good," he replied. An awkward silence fell between us. I started looking around the street, desperate for anything to focus on but him. My eyes landed on a building, taller than the ones to either side, with a red cross painted on front.

"Is that the hospital?" I asked.

"Yes," he answered, giving me an odd look. I knew he wanted answers, but I couldn't give him any.

"Well, that's good to know," I said brightly, turning away. He saw right through me, as usual, but he didn't ask for an explanation. I thanked the heavens that this Edward was much less nosy than the one I knew.

"It's getting dark," he sighed, turning us around. "Let's get home."

He was unhappy with me, of course. I wished I could confide in him; I longed to tell him everything and to have him tell me it would be fine. That was impossible, though, so I settled for taking his arm and following in silence.