||Nine||

"Here we go, Laika! Your Fennekin and your Froakie are all healed up!" You and Fennekin beamed up at Nurse Joy, thanking her happily. Laika approached the counter you were both sat atop of, smiling. It was clear that the excitement still lingered in the atmosphere, bringing contagious smiles to everyone's faces.
"I still can't believe we did it!" Fennekin exclaimed, her ears flickering as she rose to her feet. Her fur was only slightly ruffled; nothing good grooming couldn't fix. You hummed in agreement, relaxing in the warmth of the ceiling lights. Laika clasped her hands together, thanking Nurse Joy before the pink-haired woman walked off. She gazed at the two of you with a growing smile, outstretching her arms.

"I'm so proud of us..!" she gushed, setting one hand on Fennekin's head and the other against the side of yours. "But let's celebrate later when Ash and his Pokemon win his Gym battle, huh?" You perked up, pools of yellow filled with curiosity. Laika seemed to notice your interest and smiled, removing her hands and allowing them to hang motionless at her sides.
"I think they're just about to start their battle actually..." she murmured, glancing over at the doors to the Gym, "let's go and watch!" You and Fennekin cried in agreement, smiling widely. The sleek fox Pokemon jumped down onto the ground, trotting alongside Laika whilst you jumped onto her shoulder, resting peacefully as you were transported into the Gym once again.

"Unlike our previous battle, I'll be able to show you everything we've got! This is where it truly begins! Use Ice Beam on the field!" Viola exclaimed, throwing a hand into the air. You flinched as the beams of Ice stuck the field, narrowly missing Pikachu in the process.

'Well, that's a big disadvantage...' you thought, unsure of how to respond to such a tactic. Pikachu struggled for footing, his arms waving around in the air as he tried to find some sort of balance.
"Our ice battlefield is picture-perfect!" Viola outstretched her hand, displaying her open palm. "Surskit! Let's go!" Surskit skated forwards, spraying up teensy shards of ice which shattered immediately. Pikachu's ears lowered as Surskit skated around him once more, the unexpected movement knocking him over.
"Pikachu, hang in there..!" Ash called, desperation clinging to his vocals, "use Iron Tail!"

You watched Surskit skate in closer, determined for the prolonged victory, only to be sent spinning back from an Iron Tail to the face. However, the spinning wasn't something that upset Surskit's composure, as it spun back into an attacking position.
"Pull it together, Surskit and use Ice Beam!"
"Ooh..! I don't think I can watch this..!" Fennekin cried, hiding behind Laika with closed eyes. You glanced down with a small smile before returning your attention to Ash and Pikachu, watching as Surskit shot out an Ice Beam once again.

"Quick, Pikachu! Use Thunderbolt!" Pikachu's small body became encased with pulsating electricity, sparks flying from his cheeks dangerously. From his unsteady spot on the icy ground, he fired off his Thunderbolt, pushing himself back slightly as it collided with the Ice Beam. There was a moment struggle over control before Pikachu's Thunderbolt was overpowered, dissipating as the Ice Beam struck the ground mere feet away from his position. He flew back and landed on the ground, drained of energy.
"Pikachu, no!"
"Yes! Now, use your picture-perfect Signal Beam!" Viola called, not wasting any time on Ash and his feelings.

Surskit twirled, flying up into the air where it commenced its attack, sending a large stream of glowing energy towards Pikachu. All he could do was look up, helpless as it drew closer into his inevitable defeat.
"Gah! Poor Pikachu..." Fennekin whimpered, her ears smoothed back against her head.
"He tried his hardest at least," you commented with a shrug, shifting light atop of Laika's shoulder. She was unbothered by the movement, her watchful gaze remaining on Ash's concentrated figure. The suffocating cloud of dense smoke cleared slowly, revealing the unconscious Pokemon, his yellow fur scuffed.