Chapter 5

The sound of birds chirping woke me as I found myself lying against the bed, the hunting rifle still in my hands. I slowly got up and went over to the window that overlooked my backyard and the farm. I pushed away the curtains and found only two infected roaming in the farm, but further away then last night.

I aimed my rifle and looked through the scope, marking the crosshairs on the face of an infected. As if it knew that I was aiming down on it, the infected turned to face me; revealing it's ugly face.

Half of its face was torn off with a loosely hanging eyeball on the left side. It's yellowish teeth kept snapping as the infected kept whipping its head to the right or left. As I kept looking over the creature I was able to see matted blood on the torn clothing and ripped muscle and tendons coming from the arms and legs. Then something caught my eye, four bullets hole riddled the infected's stomach.

There was no need to call them infected anymore, I had to face the reality. They were dead and walking. Basically, Walkers.

I kept scoping around and still was only able to see the other Walker that was actually making it's way further away from his line of sight. I now had to face the fact that I had to kill one, if they ever came at me I would have to be able to defend myself.

I checked the bolt and made sure the gun was fully loaded. I then set it aside and opened the window letting the cool breeze enter the room. I tucked the hunting rifle against my left shoulder and supported it with my right hand, my left finger on the trigger ready to fire. I lined the crosshair onto the head of the Walker and took a deep breath.

I pulled the trigger and watched as he bullet found its target sending blood out the other end. Now the other Walker turned around to face me. "It seems you're attracted to sound." I said to myself aloud. I pulled the gun over to it and aimed the crosshairs onto its head. Once more I took a deep breath and pulled the trigger, watching as it destroyed the Walker's brain.

I set my rifle down and started to make my way out of my parents' room. Opening the door I walked downstairs and looked for something to eat, hopefully I still had cereal and some good milk. As I walked over to the cupboard my heart stopped. I heard a lot of growling close by, very close by. I crouched down and went over to my drawer where the knives were stored and slowly opened it. I picked out the longest blade I could find and kept it firm in my right hand as I moved to the sound of the growling.

As I neared the glass door that led out to the patio, the growling became even louder and louder. I cut a little slit into the curtains covering the window and peered through it, revealing the six or seven Walkers outside clawing at the glass that was breaking. Seeing them this close made my stomach churn, but now was not the time to throw up. I reached for my Osprey and forgot that I left it upstairs.

Quickly rushing to get it, I could feel the beads of sweet forming on my forehead. Once I reached the main floor again, I stepped outside and looked around and made sure that there were no Walkers lurking around. I spotted one at the end of the neighborhood, it was just one and far off, so I left it be and wrapped around the left side of my house.

As I rounded the corner to the backyard I was able to count seven Walkers clawing at the glass door. Before I started to grab their attention I checked the clip of the Osprey and saw that I had eleven rounds left. "Hey Assholes! Over here!" I called out. The Walkers started to turn and make their way towards me. Since they were elevated, the Walkers would have to go down the stairs, and based off their motor skills that would be a challenge.

And I was right. All the Walkers fell down the stairs and grouped up into a pile on the ground. I rushed over to the first Walker and popped a round into its skull. Now as the others started to pull themselves up, I backed away and raised the Osprey with my left hand, my finger right beside the trigger.

Two Walkers lead the pack a good five yards, giving me some time to aim the shot perfectly. One Walker was coming a bit faster so I set my aim to its forehead and pulled the trigger. The surprised shot was surprisingly a lot quieter than I expected, but that was nothing to complain about. Then I quickly took aim at the other close Walker and pulled the trigger, the bullets piercing its eye, sending dark discolored blood out the other end.

Now the other four Walkers were in a tight group stumbling towards me with my Osprey raised. I used my right hand to steady the pistol and took two shots, one puncturing the neck and temple of the furthest Walker to my right. I jogged a bit further down to put some more distance between those things and me.

Keeping the suppressed pistol steady, I took another shot at the closest Walker which ended up in it's shoulder. Yet it kept on walking like nothing happened. "Damn," I said under my breath, discouraged about my aiming. Once more I raised the pistol and fired off another round which penetrated the Walker's skull. With two left I quickly shot one round at the Walker on the right, causing it to fall over in a crumpled mess.

I ran further back, putting me in the middle of the street and put the pistol on its safety. I tucked it in my pants and held the large kitchen knife in my hand. I wouldn't be able to shoot my way out of trouble all the time, so I might as well practice. The Walker started to pick up its pace, its mouth chomping away and its arms angled towards me.

I quickly walked over to it and was brining the knife down before I felt a massive push to the ground. Suddenly I found myself being tackled by the Walker, it's yellow teeth nearing my neck. My heart started to pound so fast I swear every Walker within miles could hear it. I spotted the knife just to my right but I had both hands occupied fighting this thing off of me. The smell of its decayed body was starting to become unbearable, and this was the moment where I thought it was all over. I was either going to pass out from all the adrenaline pumping through me too fast or the smell that plagued my noise. Then a shot rang out.

The Walker on top of me flew to my left side as a bullet made contact with its head. I took many deep breaths, too shocked to say thank you or even turn to my side. As I kept staring at the cloudless sky someone stepped over me with their gun raised at my head.

"Were you bit! Scratched?!" I was surprised when I heard a very young voice. I remained motionless as shock took over my body, and my eyes started to close. "Answer me dammit!"

I then heard a shot ring out, and everything went black.

Please vote and comment! Thanks and stay awesome!