Cerberus Rex, 34

Captain Fairwind didn't even look at the papers Noarwin and the others took two days to write up. His office wasn't big enough to fit them all without bunching together, even without Dar there. Captain Fairwind slid the folder out of Noarwin's hand and then filed it away in a black hole of a draw. Silas tilted his head at the junk filled space, briefly wondering what else had disappeared into that abyss, and then he looked back at the captain.

"Harlin," Captain Fairwind called.

A young man in a page suit effortlessly whisked through the crowd and bowed at Captain Fairwind's side. "My lord." He had a stuffy way about him, his nose turned up, and his eyes too small.

"Gather these hooligans and take them to their new home," he said without sparing them any more of his attention. He opened a thick red leather book and flipped through its pages.

Noarwin's brow twitched. "Do you mean to say you already had a house prepared?"

"Hm." Captain Fairwind's reply was short but affirmative. Noarwin's face tightened. Silas didn't think he'd pick a fight with his employer, but people often surprised him. No one had time to do anything though, because the page whisked them all out the open door before any of them realized they'd stepped out.

"If you will wait in the front under the knowing goddess's gaze, I shall call a carriage," Harlin said. He swept away, the tabard of his position fluttering as he floated into another part of the cathedral.

Silas looked at the others mixed in a pot of fluster and confusion. He chuckled to himself as he remembered how they deliberated over their writing. It seemed unnecessary now. Noarwin sighed in recognition, and the others looked tired. "Let's wait outside," Silas said, a smile in his voice for the first time. He urged them through the church, appreciating the prism of colors they walked under before stepping into the warm sunlight. He shut his eyes and sighed at its embrace all around him.

"What do you think it's going to be like?" Feri asked.

"Don't get your hopes up," Asinis warned.

"Does he know we're bringing a golem?" Feri asked.

"I mentioned it," Noarwin said.

Silas couldn't imagine. He didn't know much about homes. He'd only seen Noarwin's apartment and the Queen's Hall. His only other experience with buildings were shops, the Summit Dungeons, and the outside facings of whatever they passed while walking in the city. He hoped it would be comfortable and something everyone would like. Captain Fairwind seemed to have a dark side, but Silas doubted he would go so far as to choose something unsavory.

A handsome horse trotted up before them, and a red and gold carriage stopped behind it. Feri and Asinis stepped back while Noarwin's temple ticked. "A little gaudy of a choice, isn't it?" he said up to the coachman.

"You're not just some spy for the captain now, Mr. Noarwin. Enjoy your promotion." The coachman gestured inside as a footman opened the door for them. The group exchanged glances before piling in. They settled themselves, surprised by the room and comfort of what should have been a tight squeeze. The footman shut the door behind them, and the box on wheels set into motion with a gentle rocking motion.

"Who wants to bet they're taking us to the gallows?" Noarwin grinned.

"Too soon," Asinis groaned.

"Oh... I don't think I like carriages," Feri moaned.

"Are you feeling sick?" Noarwin asked.

"A little," she admitted.

"Ah, switch seats," Asinis said picking her off the bench. "It will help if you face forward." He leaned across her and opened the window on the side she switched to. Noarwin shuffled to sit beside Asinis, and Feri propped her face next to the door, so she could feel the breeze. "Better?" Asinis asked anxiously.