Chapter Twenty: Going Back To Town

Bắt đầu từ đầu

He must have seen the look on my face, however, because he answered my unspoken question, "Otis thought it would be a good idea for us to have back up. Since the last time we went to town there were renegades lying in wait."

Huffing at the mention of Otis's name, I looked over the rows for a seat. I hadn't spoken to Otis after he tried to force a team on me but our separation wasn't my fault. I was over the argument we had but with Ryan keeping me so busy and Otis actively avoiding me, there never seemed to be a good time to talk. Come to think of it, I'd only caught a few passing glimpses of his cousin as well since Ryan attacked him in the conference room.

Finding an empty spot behind Devin, I maneuvered down the aisle and dropped down into the seat. Devin had just turned to say something when Ryan slammed down into the seat next to me.

His arm stretched out behind me, "So, what are we talking about?"

"We weren't actually talking yet." Devin responded dryly as the bus purred to life in the background.

"Oh, well...what are you buying in town?"

"Nicotine patches." Was the grunted reply.

Ryan nodded, "That's a hard habit to kick."

"He doesn't have a choice." I told him.

"Why?"

Devin fluffed his jacket around his neck, "Cause I don't want to throw up every time I do one of your girlfriends insane workouts."

"Girlfriend? Oh, no. If anything the human term would be fiancé." Ryan spat out, obviously offended.

"And do I get a say about this new label?" I asked, raising a brow.

He gave me an impish grin, "You agreed to it when we made out, buttercup."

I shook my head in amusement, "Just when we made out?"

He blushed lightly as Devin made yacking sounds, "Buttercup? You know you'll never get rid of him now, right? You're stuck with him."

We both responded at the same time.

"I know."

"And just what is that supposed to mean?"

Devin's dark eyes gleamed with mischief, "Nothing, Beta."

Ryan gave a low growl of annoyance but otherwise let the young shifters comment slide. Or I thought he did until Ryan leaned into my side to whisper, "Is he really your friend?"

Giving him a look, I said, "Yes. My only one."

He reared back, "That's not true. I'm your friend."

"No, you're not."

"Yes, I am." He shot back.

I raised a brow, "You're going to be my mate, not my friend."

"I'm your everything." He stressed.

"Is that so?" My lips curved at the decisive tone he used.

His chin tilted up, "Just like you're mine."

I opened my mouth to reply when Devin beat me to it, "Wah-ow. Obviously, we know who the dramatic one is."

Ryan was spared my laughter as the bus turned into the parking lot causing the volume of voices to sky rocket. The driver circled the parking lot until he found a space big enough to fit us in, towards the side of the lot by the woods. As soon as the bus slid to a smooth stop, the gremlins began clambering around gathering their things. The driver didn't hesitate to open the door and walk out to wait beside the front of the bus.