25. Mason; Maybe if I was a turtle

Start from the beginning

“You better replace that bottle before your Father sees.” My mom spoke turning a blind eye to my state going back to whatever show she was watching.

“Ye-s Mam.” I held up the bottle then slid along the wall to the cupboard under the stairs to find one of my jackets cheering loudly as I pulled it out trying to figure out how to get it on as I somehow made my way into the kitchen slumping into the counter. I’d gotten the jacket on and my hands in my pockets feeling something I pulled whatever it was out unfolding the paper I squinted to make out the words.
Be my prom date? No homo lmao pls? B

I collapsed into the side behind me instead of in front the words hitting me like a ton of bricks as all my efforts at drinking until I no longer cared stopped working. I remembered that day like it was yesterday, it was in fact almost two years ago two weeks before Prom and I didn’t have a date and neither did he and we were both cool with going alone. Then I heard people mumbling in class and soon heard them say pass this to Mason then the next person would and then the next as a small piece of paper was handed from hand to hand across the room it eventually falling onto the desk in front of me. I opened it not able to keep from standing in the middle of class to answer him yes everyone cheering and laughing because even then everyone knew we weren’t gay together.

I felt like I’d ruined all of that and for what? Two handjobs and some steamy making out. The only part I would even consider worth any part of us falling out is at least now he knows how I feel about guys, everything else I’d take back in a heartbeat. Even that stupid argument, I was mad but I wish I would never of said half of what I did. Before I had time to sober up my fingers were dialling his phone, not finding his contact but actually typing each individual number into my phone from memory even in my totally intoxicated state, holding the phone to my ear it not even being a possibility he wouldn’t answer until it had rang a total of nine times, I knew phones only ring ten times. As I moved the phone I heard it click and then his voice deep and stuttering a hello.

“Hey.” I breathed back not knowing why I’d called in the first place.

“What’s up?” He asked slowly as if he didn’t know what to say either. “I mean everything okay?” He asked again and I sighed shaking my head deciding this was a stupid idea.

“No I’m fine. I’m dandy fine. I just. It was nothing and now I’m gonna go.” I mumbled as I walked straight across the kitchen taking a much needed mouthful of alcohol again trying to dull my pain.

“Wait hang on.” He seemed panicked that I’d hang up so I waited the line silent as I closed my eyes wondering what he was thinking, what he had been doing when I called. “You still there?” He asked and I mumbled something incoherent into the mouthpiece earning him sigh in response. I imagined him sitting on the edge of his bed running his hands through his hair... “Why did you call me Mason?” He was dead serious now whatever he was originally going to say gone.

“I erm...” Took another big mouthful looking at the piece of paper that was on the table in front of me. “I just- remember when you asked me to prom? That was good that was.” I somehow laughed falling backwards again on the counter.

“Yeah I remember that. Miss Gordon almost yelled at us because nobody was allowed to talk about prom during class but I think she was scared everyone would think she was Homophobic so she dropped it.” He chuckled lowly too remembering it just as well as I did.

“I fucking miss that.” The laughing stopped from both of us. “Shit. Sorry Brandon. Fuck. I’m gonna hang up now.” It was me hurriedly trying to get off the phone feeling like we shouldn’t be talking not now, not when I’m too drunk to know what I’m saying.

“How much are you drinking Mason calm now.” He laughed a little but even now I could tell he was worried a little for me.

“No it’s so okay. I have a party, like this erm party. You know I’m going now actually so I have to go, to the party.” I rambled not knowing what I was trying to say.