Chapter 49

Spider-Man was swinging through the city for the first time in seemingly forever. He was wearing the white spider outfit that Octavius made for him and was on crime patrol.

Mera had gone off to Atlantis to handle some important business with Arthur and her father. And since Peter didn't have work this specific day, he thought it would be a great time to pull out the spandex suit and patrol. Crime just wasn't going to disappear, as much as he would personally enjoy it.

After hearing and seeing nothing for almost an hour, he decided to rest upon one of the pillars on the abandoned building. "This is the life." he said to himself as he gaze out upon the sun setting on the horizon. And then his cell phone inside of his mask began to rang. He smiled as he read who it was on the other line.

"Yuri! You're back! How's your mom?" Spider-Man asked.

"Very well. Right back to complaining about not having grand children." Yuri responded. "How's your Atlantean girlfriend?" she asked.

"Oh, she's still as amazing as ever. Even now with Atlantis being discovered, she hardly ever wears a frown these days." Spider-Man said, smirking under the mask.

"Come on, you and I both know that's not true." Yuri said laughing on the other line. Spider-Man released a chuckle and shook his head.

"So....you planning on taking that vacation?" Spider-Man asked.

"Are you kidding?! There's no time for that!" Yuri said. "The apocalypse didn't happen which means we have a city full of loose ends to clean up."

"Sounds like a big job. But we're up for it." Spider-Man with extreme confidence. He was finally starting to feel like himself again after all this time.

"Not you." Yuri said, confusing the hero. "For a job this tough, we need......Spider-Cop."

Spider-Man had to laugh. Yuri absolutely hated it when he referenced himself as that to her. So to hear her call him that now was absolutely mind-blowing.

"You said it! You even did the voice!" Spider-Man said.

"Okay, don't make it weird." Yuri said, though Spider-Man could hear the smile in her voice.

"You like me! You really like me!" Spider-Man shouted in glee.

"You made it weird." Yuri commented. "Better get ready, we've got a lot of work to do."

"I can't wait." Spider-Man said. And then he spoke in his Spider-Cop voice. "Spider-Cop surveys the city. Placid, but seething with turmoil just beneath its calm surface."

Yuri groaned on the other line. "What have I done?" she said, before she hung up.

Spider-Man chuckled as the line went dead. As he was about to swing away from the area, a loud splash was heard on the other side of the building.

'What was that?' Spider-Man thought to himself as he jumped onto the building and crawled to see what it was that made that noise. There seemed to be no construction workers around that would sometimes drop things into the water for projects involving the sea. There also weren't any ships around that would make a splash when the anchor would drop.

So what could have made that splashing sound?

Spider-Man observed the area, but found absolutely nothing. He stood there dumbstruck for a moment, before a he was met instantly with a small stream of water rapidly rising from the ocean and splashing him in his face.

"Hey!" he called out, but still there was no one around. However, Spider-Man now knew what made that splash and swung over by a pole over on the ocean. "Playing games with me now huh?!" he called out, surveying the ocean around him.