Chapter 43

Mera burst from the ocean with such a high velocity that the waves created rocked a few of the boats in the vicinity. The people of New York were starting at Mera as she soared through the city on her water cyclone, still wearing her formal dress, but at the moment, she didn't care.

All she cared about was arriving to the shelter to see Peter. The shelter came into her sights and she increased her speed. Her heart was beating so hard and so loud she thought it might explode.

Arriving at the shelter, she nearly ripped the doors off of their hinges as she dashed inside the shelter. MJ jumped at the sudden movement of the Atlantean princess.

"Where is he?" She asked, tears running down her face. MJ sniffed, and lead her to the room where the doctors were working on Spider-Man.

Just seeing him there made her want to go by his side. But she didn't want to interrupt the process or mess anything up. So for the time being, she just stood right beside MJ in complete silence.

The minutes passing by them felt like hours upon hours. In that time, MJ informed Mera of what had happened once she had left to Atlantis. Mera just had a far away look form on her face as she stared at Spider-Man. "I abandoned him." she whispered.

"Come on now, that's not true." MJ countered.

"It IS true!" Mera said in a whisper. "He went up against probably Li and Octavius, and he had to do it all on his own.......And I knew all about this, and I still left." She slapped the sides of her dress in utter frustration. "I never should have left for that conference at this time!"

"Spider-Man would not want you to think like this." MJ said. "He knew that you needed to be there for Atlantis in order to make whatever decision you made. And he accepted it and took the mantle alone."

"I needed to be here for him. If I had, this wouldn't have happened!" Mera said, running her hands through her bun. Then she released a deep sigh and though about what MJ said. And she was right to a degree. Peter would hate for her to think and talk the way that she is now. All that she could do was just continue to watch as her boyfriend was being worked on.

"He'll make it through this." MJ said with confidence as she looked back at him as well. "He has to." she added. Silently, Mera couldn't agree more.

Then , after what seemed like forever, Dr. Michaels came back to the two women with a relaxed face. "He'll live. But he needs rest." he said, before walking off to another section of the shelter.

Mera released a massive sigh of relief as she buried her face into her hands. The massive weight that was placed on her shoulders had suddenly been lifted off in the best way possible at the news. 'He's gonna be alright!' she said to herself.

She then looked up and slowly started towards the table. To her surprise, Spider-Man started to move slowly to his left side. Mera was confused for a second, before she realized what he was trying to do. Apparently MJ figured out what he was doing to and the two women sprinted towards the hero as he stumbled off of the table.

"Hey, take it easy!" MJ said, grabbing Spider-Man's left side, while Mera grabbed his right. Spider-Man looked to his right and saw Mera.

"Mera....." he said in a weak and low voice. Mera placed a hand onto the side of his face and smiled. Her tears were still streaming down her face as she gazed at him.

"Yes......I'm here Pete." she whispered to Spider-Man.

"W-Where's May?" Spider-Man asked. MJ put on an even more sorrowful look as she gazed at Spider-Man. Even Mera was a little nervous at what she was about to say to him. For she too had formed a little bond with Aunt May, and knew she was sick.