"I am not talking about my intelligence quotient." He stops as if thinking how to proceed with the words, "Do you know the basic difference between an idiot and a wise man?"

"An idiot and a wise man?" Not knowing where this conversation is going, I answer, "The question itself is an answer. Someone is called an idiot because of their dumbness and a wise man is anything but dumb."

I wait for his answer, but he stays quiet for a long time. "The basic difference between an idiot and a wise man is, an idiot would know what is true. And a wise man knows the slight line between what's true and what's less-true." He stops again, "And Suman I have to know this line between true and less-true. I may trust my employees but I can't trust them blindly. Because if Malhotra Corporation goes down the hill, no one would stay with me to fix it up. It's my responsibility. I cant put the pressure on other's shoulders."

I am sitting on my bed, holding my phone to my ear - speechless. Suddenly I realise, this man is successful because he doesn't take his success for granted. Shravan knows he needs to work hard to stay on top. He is responsible enough to know he is the captain of this huge ship called Malhotra Corporation.

I can feel my respect doubled for him. "That's deep." My voice chokes on some unknown emotion. Suddenly I feel so small in front of him. Am I even worthy enough to be called his wife?

Self-doubt is something I am not used to. This man makes me doubt myself as if I am a child and know nothing about life.

"That leads us to you. Now that you know, I know the difference between true and less-true; now tell me what made you upset?"

So this is how he manipulates people. It's like whatever you try, you can never distract him to get what he wants. I clear my voice, "I am not upset, just tired." For some reasons, I don't want to talk to him now. I am hating the fact that he can see through my pretences. Yes, I wanted to tell him that I didn't like the tone of his message. But I can tell he will be able to negate the accusation pretty well.

Shravan stays silent for a second, "If you don't want to talk about it, it's fine. I guess I need to give you a little space. We will talk later. Goodnight Suman."

I can feel his voice changed when he said his goodnight. But I just mumble a soft goodnight and cut the call. I actually need some time to think. Shravan Malhotra just barged into my life without any prior notice. As though I am impressed with him, I can't help but feel a bit intimidated by him.

The man who claims to be an introvert, surely he talks a lot. It's like he has two different personalities. I look around my room. And the very first thing that caught my interest is my laptop. Correct. I jump out of my bed to grab it. I should have done it before. I can't believe I didn't even think about it.

Typing Shravan Malhotra, Malhotra Corporation on Google search I press the enter key. The news of some business collaboration with some foreign company and the link to the news comes on the screen with some other links regarding his company and work. Pretty boring stuff. There is not a single news about his personal life. Shouldn't he have a Wikipedia on his name? I add Wikipedia with his name to search again.

And there it is.

There is a picture of him, and his name with his parents' name - Ramnath Malhotra and Nirmala Malhotra with the hyperlink on their respective names. Shravan Malhotra's birthday is 19th August 1990. Education: Business Major, Cambridge University. Holy cow! Cambridge! No wonder he is intelligent. Then there was the list of the companies under Malhotra Corporation.

That's it? I have never seen a Wikipedia this small. Disappointed I click on the link of the image. And there he is. With all his handsome glory. There are almost hundreds of photos of him but in his stoic expression. Not a single smiling photo. How is that possible! I keep on browsing, but none, he is always wearing that blank expression.

I shut the lid of the laptop. So even being the CEO, there is not a piece of news on his personal life; as if he has intentionally made it clear that he doesn't want anyone to know about him.

"Looks like your thinking mode is on." My sister-in-law Preety peeks around the door.

"Hey come in." I smile at her. She is one of the best friends I have. When she came to meet us for the first time, I knew I would love her. Her clear thinking, practical advice make her the best sister-in-law one can ever have.

Preety sits beside me on the bed, "Now tell me what happened?"

"I can't just figure out this man. It's like there are two people in his body. He says he doesn't like to talk, even his mother said the same. But whenever he talks to me it's like he has tons of things to say." I look at her, and find her looking straight at me, "I mean, you know how much I talk, sometimes he even . . ."

"You are smitten!"

"What?"

Preety laughs, "Shravan intrigues you. You just want to figure him out."

"That I know." I sigh. Suddenly feeling very tired I put my head on her lap. She strokes my hair with her fingers. "I mean, why is he different with me? It's not like we have met years ago. It's just a few days."

"That means you are special," Preety says softly. I look up at her, when she continues, "Just because he is an introvert that doesn't mean he doesn't like to talk. He is a successful man. He can't be an open book to all. But he wants to marry you Sumo, he would want you to know the real him."

"But isn't it too soon?"

"Now we don't know what is he thinking, do we?" She laughs, "You need to give him time to express himself. Don't judge him too soon."

"Too much to take in such a small time. He is just barrelling into my life like a break-failed train, and all I can do is stand and watch."

"I still feel you need to give him a chance to explain himself." She pats on my head.

Preety's words kept ringing in my head. That means you are special. But the question is Am I?

***

I know, you might say Suman again is creating problems for herself. But we can't blame her, can we? She is not some teenage girl who would not use her brains.

And shravan! What is he thinking! A CEO, suddenly pursuing a plain-jane. 🤔

Keep reading until next time.