I heard bits and pieces of the conversation. "Attentive student... okay, high marks... not one for sports but does quite well in maths..."

"Maxine?"

Breaking my eye contact with Carson, I shifted my gaze to Mr. Fabiano, who signaled for me to follow. Carson's eyes remained fixed on me as I reluctantly tore my gaze from the cracked doorway.

Swallowing hard, I trailed behind the vice principal down the hallway, the weight of Carson's stare still lingering heavily on me.

Exhausted and barely into third period, I pressed on with jumping jacks on the field. Coach Keller's gaze was relentless, watching us like a hawk. When he turned momentarily for a sip of water, I took a breather, letting my arms relax.

"I hate him," whined Holly Dae from beside me.

"Same here." My attention was elsewhere, fixed on the approaching figure. Carson was striding across the field in our direction. What was he doing here? He was squinting his eyes despite the lack of sun that day. Unlike me, he seemed unaffected by the weekend's escapades. I'd woken up with a pounding headache and a mouth drier than the Sahara.

"Faster!" Coach barked at us, just as Carson approached the class. Everyone went silent. "Can I help you?"

Carson's eyes brushed across the gaping class, finding mine before a slight smile graced his lips. "I'm the new kid."

"And what might be your name, new kid?" Coach Keller had that usual scowl on his face, which could only mean one thing. Something terrible was about to happen.

Carson cleared his throat, aware of everyone's eyes on him. "Cole. Cole Rivers. But you can call me Carson."

Carson's gaze returned to mine. I held his stare. Why use a fake name?

"Isn't he the guy from the party?" Cherry whispered.

"Yes." I hated the way she was staring at him like he was a decretive ornament on display, serving no purpose other than his looks.

"I think Cole sounds hotter," Cherry murmured, adjusting her tiny shorts.

"And why are you late to my class, Cole Rivers?" Leave it to Coach to ignore a person's wishes.

"I had trouble navigating around the school as it is my first day, but—,"

"Ten suicides."

Gasps rippled through the group. Carson, or Cole, hesitated, his gaze sweeping the line until it found mine. I watched, biting my nails. Holly Dae offered a sympathetic smile, but no one intervened against Coach Keller's rule.

"Ten suicides?" Carson's brows furrowed. "Why should I?"

Coach Keller stared at his watch. "For every five minutes late, ten suicides. You better catch up fast, Rivers. We don't tolerate slackers on this team."

Carson shrugged off Coach's glare. "If suicides make a great team, maybe we should reconsider our strategy."

Coach Keller's face turned red. "You questioning my teaching?"

"Just questioning the logic of punishing fitness for punctuality," Carson replied.

"So he's hot and a rebel. I like it." Cherry twirled a strand of her hair. "Like the bad boys in those romance novels my sister likes to read."