Chapter Eighteen: That Look

*A month ago*

A few days after the heated conversation with Dick and Vanessa. She began slowly coming around to him, she knew she couldn't be mad at him forever, this isn't a fairy tale, there wasn't going to be a happily ever after for her.

Rachel, and Vanessa sat on stools, as Gar was opposite the island. Each of them had cups of coffee placed on the marble top in front of them. Vanessa took a sigh, grabbing the warm cup up into her hands and placed the edge to her lips, taking a sip of the hot liquid. The coffee warmed her right up, slithering down her throat, touching her soul, like a pick-me up.

"What's up?" Gar spoke aloud, catching Vanessa off guard and shooting her head up to meet his gaze.

"Nothing," she replied with a sigh taking her gaze away from Gar. Deep down she really wanted to tell them the drama her and Dick had, but she doesn't think they would understand. Gar and Rachel took their gazes to one another, they might be kids but they aren't blind, they know that something was bothering her.

"How about we go out?" Gar spoke, after a moment of silence. Vanessa brought her eyes back to her but offered him a small thin smile, appreciating the offer.

"Thank you guys, but I don't wanna go anywhere," Vanessa replied in a softly to them, she can't deny they are really good kids, and they only wanted the best for her. Vanessa took another sip of the coffee and places the mug back down, but kept her hand around it so it would keep her warm.

"You know you can talk to us," Rachel's voice soared through the air, making Vanessa turn her whole body to face her. She reaches out her hand to Rachel's and placed her hand on hers. Vanessa smiles from ear to ear, knowing how lucky she was to have friends like this. No to have a family like this...

"Thank you, I mean it," Vanessa replied softly to her, gaining a smile from Rachel. Both girls had a bond with one another, a special one that couldn't be matched. Maybe fate or destiny had brought them together that day, but deep down both felt this gravitational pull to one another. Vanessa also felt another gravitational pull to someone else, but that feeling was totally different to one with Rachel...

"Is it something to do with Dick?" Gar spoke up, making Vanessa cock her gaze over to him, but her expression was blank, trying not to give anything away. Before she could speak, Dick had entered the room, coming over to the kitchen area.

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear," Vanessa mumbles to herself, while taking another sip of her coffee.

"Hey guys," Dick's rough manly voice pierced the air, making Vanessa quiver with a feeling that she's never felt before. However, she was stubborn and didn't make eye contact with Dick. He made it over to the other side of the island, grabbing the coffee pot and started to pour himself a cup. "What you guys up too," Dick asks, as the coffee was poured into the cup. But Vanessa was feeling nervous and angry around him, though she wasn't as raged up about their fight, the effects of it was still lingering in her mind and heart...

"I'll talk to you guys later. I'm off to hit something," Vanessa spoke aloud, not making eye contact with anyone before lifting herself from the stool and off she went. Dick, Rachel, and Gar watch her go, not stopping her from leaving. Dick sighs, a bit too loudly, alerting the others that he's done something to upset Vanessa. Rachel and Gar exchanges a glance to one another, a look to know better to ask what's going on between the two...

.................................

Vanessa stood on the training mat, in her gym outfit which basically was a plain black crop tank-top with some grey tight joggy bottoms and plain white running shoes. Vanessa hits the punching bag with her bare hands, doing a 1-2 combo, reliving the anger within. After a few harder punches to the bag, the anger inside began to subside. Vanessa exhales as she drops her hands back to her side, thinking that this doesn't help her face her problem, but it eases that...