• Chapter 7 •

Start from the beginning

In response, she blinked the sleepiness out of her eyes as drool leaked out of her parted lips. Percy refrained thinking about their sibling resemblance. Soon enough, her eyes were shut tight and her soft snores bounced off the grey walls.

Carrying her upstairs, Percy placed in her bed and draped the quilt blanket over her. Estelle snuggled into her bedsheets, hugging her teddy bear. "Sleep tight." Percy whispered, before shutting off the lights, embracing his sister in darkness and warmth.

Shutting the door behind him, Percy leaned against the wall and grabbed out his phone, fumbling with his messages. He was free today— why not spend his time with Nico?

*   *   *

"H-hey..." he breathed out, desperately searching for words. Percy felt his skin growing hot beneath his composure.

Nico di Angelo stood at the doorframe, an angelic smile resting upon his delicate face. Hello, he signed, moving aside to let the him in.

Trying to regain his composure, Percy stepped into the imposing house as he studied the teenager's face delicately, his face smoothing out into an easygoing expression.

The brown-eyed boy averted his gaze. A dark-haired girl stepped next to him, her gleaming black eyes piercing through Percy's aura of defence. Her freckled olive face showed intense determination, the same he could see in Nico's expression. "Bianca di Angelo." she said, her voice tight.

Pushing back his fears, Percy extended a hand. "Percy Jackson."

Bianca smiled. Reaching out a hand as well, she shook his. The unlikely warmth of her palm made Percy shiver.

The sound of someone coughing into their hand made Percy spin towards them. Nico still was avoiding Percy's gaze, his cheeks slightly dusted with a red tint. I have to go to the restroom, he signed, finally meeting the green-eyed boy's eyes. He was shuffling on his feet, his fingers fidgeting, trying to find the right gestures.

Percy found it peculiar that after living using sign language, Nico still found it difficult using gestures to communicate. His gaze never left him as he ran to the where he was supposed to be.

"I'm sorry about him. He isn't usually like this." a feminine voice chirped up. Breaking from his daze, Percy turned his eyes to Bianca di Angelo. He had forgotten she was standing there.

Percy rubbed the back of his neck self-consciously. "I— it's fine... I-I mean, I'm used to it." he stammered, fumbling for the right words. He didn't want to be decapitated by Nico's overprotective sister.

From the corner of his eyesight, Percy noticed a smirk forming on Bianca's thin lips. The gleam in her eyes was so unnerving, he took a step back.

"You know, he wasn't born like that." she continued. Percy turned his gaze to her, confusion written all over his face. "I mean, he wasn't born mute. If you didn't know... our mother died when we were young." Bianca corrected herself.

Eyes growing wide, Percy became troubled. "W-what...?" he spluttered, his hoarse voice barely more than a whisper. He could have never thought the things Nico and Bianca had fought through. What other secrets has Nico kept from me?

Bianca sighed, as she was used to this kind of reaction. "I lived through it. It's been years. Nico still hasn't got over it. After the accident... he kind of shut down. He has never talked after that." she exhaled shakily, her voice trembling with regret. "I still remember his voice."

Percy found it difficult to breathe, and it wasn't because of how stuffy the inside of the house was. The tall ceilings didn't have to do anything with it. The mere thought of losing his mother made him dizzy, so queasy Percy had to lean onto one of the black marble walls. How could have Nico seemed so happy yet brooding, living with the burden?

Shuddering, Percy finally built up the courage to face Bianca. "You are so strong." he murmured, his words barely audible over the loud thumping of his heart.

The corners of her mouth crinkled into a forced smile.

All of a sudden, the sound of shuffled footsteps were heard. Nico marched towards them and waved a hand towards Percy, shooting a half-hearted glare to his sister. Don't follow us, he gestured to her, though his eyes gleaming with compassion. That made Percy smile sadly.

He cast a glance to Bianca before following Nico upstairs, the sound of his heart hammering against his ribcage dimming under his skin.

∆   ∆   ∆

uhhh hey!!!

thank u for reading and uhh have a g'day

-drakonator