Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A gloved hand held slowly aloft commanded silence and stillness as the small company rode beneath the trees. It took only a moment for the sound of creaking leather reins being drawn up to melt into the sounds of the forest, the hoof falls of their mounts muted by the fallen leaves that blanketed the earth. With a quick glance behind, the leader of the party slowly slipped her gloves off and reached behind her back to grasp an arrow from her quiver, delicately fitting it to the bow that hung from her saddle.

A mere fifty paces upwind of the party, illuminated by the light of the mid-morning sun cascading through the trees, a stag grazed peacefully. He was young, but large - powerful muscles rippled beneath his pelt as he rooted in the undergrowth for food, unaware he was being watched. The huntress inhaled softly as she raised her bow, drawing back the taught string in a fluid, silent motion. Behind her, her company seemed to collectively hold their breath as they waited.

Simultaneously, she released both her breath and the arrow, watching it sail to meet its mark. With a startled grunt, the stag spun, dashed a few paces, and fell. Her hand flew up again to stem any premature celebration from the hunting party as she slipped from her saddle, casting a warning glance to the men as she walked forward to meet the stag. At her hip hung a small horn, embellished with carvings and bands of gold, but she rested her hand on the dagger belted above it as she approached the creature.

"Hush now, forgive me, strong one..." She breathed, kneeling at the side of the creature as its flank heaved with the effort of clinging to life. Her arrow had found its mark, but she drew her dagger, having no intention of prolonging the creature's suffering. "There are many who will be grateful for your sacrifice, you will not have died for naught." She whispered tenderly as she placed the point above the stag's heart, laying her free hand between his eyes and rubbing soothingly. With a swift, practiced motion she drove the knife deep, closing her eyes as she felt the beast shudder and still beneath her hands. She took a moment to withdraw her blade, casting her eye over the animal as she wiped the blade on the forest floor and sheathed it, before glancing back at the company of men who watched her. A small smile played on her lips as she lifted her horn to them, looking up to the sky as she blew a single, loud and clear note.

The effect was instantaneous, the peace of the forest shattered as the ten men that followed her roared victoriously, riding into the thicket to meet their captain.

"Well aimed, my lady." Her second in command, Baldan laughed as he drew his dappled mare up beside her, "He is a fine beast, I'm sure he will feed the entire hall without bother."

"I should hope so." She smiled, brushing her long copper hair back as she watched the stag being lifted onto the back of the horse brought for this purpose, looking up as she heard another horn blast answering hers, "As it would seem my brother has conceded defeat."

*

They burst from the trees onto the plains of Rohan at an elated canter, the horses glad to be free of the trees as they made their way West to their encampment. The huntress laughed as she spotted another party emerging in the distance, led by their own young captain and prince, his blond hair blowing out behind him in the breeze as he and his sister rode to greet each other.