T w e n t y F ø u r

Written By: Stephanie Cliffordcondoms
A.k.a not a doctor

Michael clutched onto Calum's hand, ignoring the aching of his knees from kneeling in front of the boy he loves since he got here. He didn't care if the pain was unbarable; it was nothing compared to the pain he felt when he saw Calum lying in a hospital bed, looking fragile and wanly from lack of nutrition.

His fingers scanned the hospital tag around the younger boy's wrist, silently crying when he traced it over the thick bandages over his wrist where he managed to cut through the skin with the broken bottle of vodka he had downed that tragic night when he collasped.

"C-Cal," Michael croaked, his fingers running through the tan boy's hair as he tried to keep his voice stable. "Why did you do it baby? I love you so much I don't understand why you would do t-this."

"Fuck!" He groaned in frustration as he took in the sight in front of him. But this time, he released Calum's hand to grip his hair. "It's all my fucking fault! Calum, sweetheart, I'm sorry for walking out--I really am and I don't know why I actually did. W-when you opened up to me about your depression and alcohol addiction, I froze and ran out but not because of you, Darling." He took a shuddering breathe and tried to calm his erratic breathing. "My dad."

He squeezed his eyes shut and burried his face onto Calum's unmoving torso, sobbing loudly at the memory. "He. . . Had the same problem. Except he took it all out on me and my mother. Sometimes, I can still hear the loud cracking of his belt against my mother's back, followed by her screams. It's hard, Cal. I know it is-- for both you and me. But... I want... I want to help you, okay?" He kisses the back of his hand over and over again until his lips become numb and tired from sobbing and apologizing. "When you wake up, I'll be right by your side okay? I-I'll read to you, sing to you, wash you, and wait for you to wake up so I can kiss you and hold you in my arms with a sense of security. Okay? Please forgive me, I'm begging you, Cal. Stay strong; fight for me, and for Luke. We both care."

The older boy continued to spill his emotions to the comatose boy and waited for his awaking. He felt like an ass and couldn't help but wonded if this was karma. Yes, Calum had tried to contact him before and yes, Michael dodged them because he was afraid. Of what? He doesn't know. His father used to do these things simply because he didn't love Michael or his wife, but Calum did love him. And now, Michael feels like the world's largest dick.

He wants him back in his arms and doesn't ever want to leave his side--not even now. So he clutches onto Calum's hand and rests it upon his cheek, warming him up before crying himself to sleep.

~~~

"CALUM"

"CALUM NO. WHY DID YOU DO THIS."

The echoes from outside of Calum's room didn't have an effect on the two boys in it. Michael still clutched onto his hand, his face splotchy, red, and swollen.

Not even the sound of the door swinging open and the scattering of feet seemed to wake him up. But it wasn't until he felt a pair of arms remove him from Calum's side that he started thrashing and calling for Calum.

"Stop!" He demanded with a raging tone as the strong pair of arms pulled his shoulders back, causing for Michael to release Calum's hand. "Let me go!" He sobbed and kicked his legs when the person behind him carried him with his arms hooked back behind his back. "I love him! I promised I wouldn't leave! Please! ... please." His pleas decreased in volume as well as his actions when he found it of no use to fight back the stronger opponent.

"Michael relax; it's me, Ashton!" The familiar voice reassured as he released Michael. The latter lad turned around to face Ashton and was in tears by the time he was clutching onto the boy. "I'm sorry about what happened."