Chapter 7

Virgil's POV

I woke up suddenly that night, my head spinning and my powers thrumming to life inside of me.  A familiar feeling of dread overwhelmed my senses.  It eased as my powers deduced the source of my hyperventilation.  I rolled over, not-so-calmly shaking Roman awake.

He groaned in protest.

"Ro, hon, your brother's trying to break into the apartment," I whispered, trying to find my breath.  My powers were keeping an eye on him.

Princey sighed and turned over.  He stared tiredly at the ceiling.  "How long do we have?"

I smiled lightly.  "Um, well..."

Remus had stood, now, from his crouched position, having unlocked our door.

I used my telekinesis to lock the deadbolt, doorknob, and chain.  "He won't be getting in for a while."

Roman pulled me into him, wrapping his arms securely around me.  "Good. Now we can go back to sleep."

As much as I wanted to, I sighed and shook my head.  "We can't leave him out there."

"Why not?" he asked, already sounding half asleep.

I didn't know just yet, but I was sure I was right.  I trained my ears on what I heard outside, trying to sit up despite Roman.  The realization of what I was hearing scared me.  "Ro, he's talking to someone."

"Probably just himself.  He's crazy, remember?"

That wasn't it.  I could hear their responses, but I couldn't read their mind.  I shook my head and pried myself from Princey, who woke up again slowly and followed me to the door.  I turned both the locks, and the door was thrown open against the chain.

Remus' face appeared in the crack.  "Virgil! It is so great to you again.  I have someone here who wants to see you."

I knew I wasn't going to like them, whoever they were.  I looked over at Roman, but he just shrugged, not offering much of an alternative.  "Close the door," I sighed.  When he did, I removed the chain.

Remus opened the door quickly, barging in.

I peered into the hallway, and my eyes met familiar yellow-green ones.  Breathlessly, I pleaded, "Remus, tell me you didn't."

The man in the hallway smiled.  "Hey, Virge. Long time, no see."

"Hi, Janus."