Chapter 3

Roman's POV

I closed the bedroom door behind me and sighed, staring into my brother's all-too-happy eyes.  "Why are you here, Remus?" I asked desperately. "Why did you fake your death, how did you find me, and why are you here?"

He laughed, "'Cause I can be."

"Not if I kick you out.  Virgil doesn't feel comfortable with you being here, and I kind of agree with him."

"But we're brothers, Roman!" He did this—pretended to be offended to make others feel guilty. He was good at manipulating people.

I rolled my eyes, having learned to see past it when we were kids.  "Virgil told me what you never would: how you killed our parents.  More precisely, he told me how you made them kill each other."

"Yes.  I thought that was quite inventive; you were just never ready to see it that way."

"How could you?  What...  You—You could do the same thing to me if you really wanted."

He shrugged.  "Nah."

"What about Virge?"

His silver eyes lit up with intrigue.  "Oh, he'd be fun.  Ya know, he is hiding so much.  Do you know who he kinda reminds me of?"

"I swear to God, if you say Jeffrey Dahmer—"

"Jeffrey Dahmer!"  Remus had been obsessed with the serial killer, rapist, and cannibal since he'd first heard about him.

The door opened behind me.  Virge walked up to me and rubbed my back.  He whispered in my ear, "Didn't he kill, like, fifteen people?"

I nodded.  "Seventeen, actually.  Remus is a huge fan."  I directed my attention back to my brother.  "If you ever compare my boyfriend to a serial killer again, I'm taking you right back to prison."

Remus grinned deviously.  "'Boyfriend,' huh?  Ya know who else was gay?"

I felt my anger rise.  "That's it!"

N interlaced our fingers, squeezing my hand. "He's not worth getting worked up over."  He loosened his grip a bit but didn't let go.  "Alright, fill me in."

"Roman thinks I'm here to hurt you!" Remus accused, pointing his finger at me for effect.

"Are you?"  Virge asked, unphased.  "Are you gonna try to hurt us?  You already tried to hurt me, and, I mean, while it would be hilarious to see you try to take on Ro, he would absolutely kick your ass.  I'm just saying, it doesn't seem like the best plan."

"I just thought it was time to see my baby brother."

"I'm fifteen minutes younger than you," I interrupted.

"Exactly!"  Remus pointed at me.  "We're brothers, and I haven't seen you since my funeral."

I blinked, thinking back to that day.  "Are you telling me that was actually you in the casket?"  Something popped into my head, and my last question no longer seemed important.  "Oh my God, did you fake your murder in prison to be more like Jeffrey Dahmer?"

Remus smirked in confirmation.

Virgil nodded slowly.  "Okay, so let me get this straight; you murdered your parents by making them kill each other, went to prison—at least we have that in common, Ro—faked your death, then, what I assumed was years later, were kidnapped by Paragon radicals trained in torture and manipulation."

Remus looked at Virge expectantly.  "So, you've been to prison?  I knew I liked you..."

"My brother," N clarified.  "I pray you two never meet."

"Fine; fine.  I like you less now.  How do you know that stuff about the kidnap-y dudes?"

I saw the panic in Virgil's dark eyes no matter how hard he tried to hide it.

Virgil's POV

I tried to breathe despite my panic, and I squeezed Roman's hand tightly, thinking three months back.

My phone began to ring.

It drew my attention and distracted me from my fears. I pulled it out of my back pocket and read the ID. I groaned.  "Why now?"  I showed the screen to Ro before answering.

"You're receiving a call from the Federal Correctional Institute in New York.  Press one to accept the charges."

I did begrudgingly.  "Janus, now is not the time."

"Was lunch with Mom really that bad?" he asked.

I eyeballed Remus.  "I wouldn't know; I didn't go.  I woke up sick this morning."

I could hear the joy in his voice when he responded, "So, if you're sick and home alone, it's a perfect time to talk."

"Roman came home early to take care of me, and now we have some unexpected company."

"Anyone fun?"

I looked Remus up and down.  "Does a murderer that Roman thought was dead count?"

"Yes.  Yes, yes, yes!  Your boyfriend just got a hell of a lot more interesting."

"Look, Jay.  Now is really not a good time; I have to deal with this.  Can you call me later, please?"

Though he sounded disappointed, he agreed and hung up.

Remus swung his legs over the edge of the counter.  "Was that the brother?"

"No," I sighed, "now, please, get the fuck out. I don't want to deal with your bullshit."  I turned toward the bedroom.

"N—"

I ignored Roman.

Remus hollered, "I'll tell you why I'm here if you stay."