Chapter 16- Mom and Dad?

Her uncle was waiting for her when she got there and she gave him a hug.

" Sammy, its so good to see you again. Let see if we can catch dinner" He joked knowing she would throw it back. She never could kill them.

"So whats new Uncle" Grant asked him. With him she could just be her. Grant. Not woman nor man. Not straight or gay. Not young or old. It felt good.

"Not much love. Just keeping on keeping on. I seen you last night. You looked happy" The man said to her. Knowing that her childhood was hard on her. Life had thrown her a major curve ball even before she was born. He blamed himself for it.

"I am, its complicated at the moment but I'm happy. Confused but happy" Grant told him tilting her head to look at him, a half smile on her lips. Her eyes roll a little bit.

"Life is like that. It tends to throw us for a loop when we least expect it. On that note. I have something to ask you. I want to ask your mom to marry me Sammy." Her uncle told her.

" Wait you and mom? I know I have been gone but I'm missing something. When did this happen" Grant asked her uncle.

" It happened when you were like nine. We have known for a long time that we loved each other but I was too ashamed, it was my fault about you dad you know. We should have never gone out that day." her uncle told her. Setting down his rod he turned towards her. Tears running down his face.

"No. Its not your fault. Everyone said he was determined to go out there. That there was nothing that could stop him. Uncle my dad was an adult. He knew what could happen but the ocean was calling him. Just as it has others. He knew the risks. Surfing when a storm is coming  was dumb. I love my father but you are my dad. You have been there my whole life. He made a mistake and you made up for that. Ten fold" she told him hugging him.

"I'm glad you don't hate Samantha Kai. I love you like the daughter i never had. The daughter I would never allow myself to have. My brother Koa loved your mom. He knew she was pregnant and when he passed on to the great beyond I vowed I would be the best father to you that I could, that I know he would have been" Danny told her. Conviction in his voice. This was his truth.

" So why wait all this time? Mom and you deserve love. My mom loved my dad. I know that's why she took off back to Cali. I also know that you begged her to bring me back and it makes sense now. It was her love for you that made her comeback. Please do. Please marry her. Be happy uncle. You deserve it."

"Your OK with that?"

"Yeah as long as you allow me to call you Dad instead of uncle. You deserve that title and I think my father would be OK with it. I love you. Your the most important man in my life" Grant told him.

"No love I'm the second. I think Bull deserves that first spot. I'm not going to ask you whats going on because its not my business. Your happiness is my business and your happy. It would be my honor to have you call me Dad. It's something I have felt like in regards to you sense the day you were born. "

" Yeah more then I could ever wish for." Grant told him. She felt like her world could not get any better.