Chapter 71. Don't Blame Yourself

Xara's POV.

I silently watched as Romeo was slicing the juicy pineapple and putting the slices on the circle of dough. He seemed very interested in his word, trying to be accurate and precise in placing the ingredients for the pizza. I assumed it would ne quite good since he was being so careful not to mess anything up. Never hqd I ever seen him spend so much time cooking something, and even though it was rather amusing - I mean, he had stuck out his tongue while trying to measure the ideal distance between two pieces of pineapple - it felt just amazing.

As far as I remembered, my friend had never had any hobby whatsoever. He had been interested in painting, gardening and almost every kind of sport for some time, but that obsession never lasted for more than a couple of decades. Hmm... Perhaps he envied me and Fred because we had managed to find our thing while he was constantly searching for it? Not like it excused what he did, though. Nothing could excuse a murder.

Apart from the time when I shot the Warden, that was different. That-that wasn't even a murder, that was my revenge!

"And now we just sprinkle the cheese above the pizza so it covers the ingredients..." Romeo muttered to himself, probably having memorised the recepy from some cooking hook or something like that. I watched as he did just that, generously covering the whole thing with a thick level of cheese. "Hopefully it's a good cheese and can melt, it won't be as good if the cheese doesn't melt..."

"You know I've never actually tried anything like what you're making." I smiled and giggled, leaning against the wall. "So I won't be able to tell it even if this thing isn't good, which I really doubt. Everything you do it amazing."

"But I don't want it to be merely amazing." The redhead huffed and rolled his eyes as he put the pizza in the oven and sighed, wiping the sweat off his face. "I want it to be fantastic! I want it to be more than good enough for our special celebration!"

Oh right... Tonight was the last night of the week, the last night of his captivity. I smiled a little and tossed a strand if my hair behind my ear. It was actually pretty worrying, because it only brought the moment when John Doe would come to us closer and closer.

"I'm sure it will be all you want it to be." I smiled nervously and tilted my head when my companion began to absent-mindedly wipe the unused flour onto the floor with his arm, the sweep the floor clean. He didn't look bothered with the task whatsoever. It almost appeared like he even liked cleaning in some way, doing his best to make sure the kitchen was spotless.

"And now we just wait for an hour before it's ready!" The guy announced and sat on the floor near the couch. I rolled my eyes and scooted away to free more space on the soft furniture. He lived in this house, he could sit right where I was sitting without questions!

"Don't use the floor when you can sit on something more comfortable." I grumbled to him and smiled when an obvious scoff escaped his mouth. "And don't scoff at me, you know your body won't be very grateful if your internal organs freeze."

"You know it's not that cold down here." He chuckled but obediently crawled on the sofa and rested his head on it's back. My dark eyes watched him in a kind of either stun or awe - those bright hair, calm eyes, the expression of rest and serenity on his face. He had far gone from the slave I had seen in that white cell. He was a brave young man now, a true human with his own personality, his own hobbies and wishes and crazy ideas. I loved it.

"The beacons are beautiful, don't you think?" He suddenly whispered, and at first I didn't even get what he was talking about. But when I raised my head I noticed that his gaze was locked on colourful rays of light that were coming from Beacon Town. "I wish I could see them closer some day... They say it's an amazing feeling when you hold your hand above a beacon and the light shines on you entirely."