Chapter 1. Sunlight.

One year later.

Xara's POV.

I frowned as I was standing there, in front of the one and only portal that could get me the hell out of here. It was glowing, lighting up some space around it. I smirked at the weak tugging sensation that was coming from it as if inviting me to step in and finally go above the bedrock. After all these years of dark imprisonment, after those countless days of not being able to see the light of day, I was finally free of anything!

With Oasis mostly rebuilt and protected from any monsters, roaming in the darkness, I finally felt free to rest. All this time I spent on repairing my home all this time I wished to simply feel the warmth of the sun of my skin once again, but this weird feeling inside my muscles made me work harder than ever before. Every time I stopped, there came this unreal voice in my head that would say something like "You haven't worked in a century, how can you be so tired after a week of building?!" or "Lazy, are we?". And I worked harder and harder, feeling satisfied with this.

But now, with this message from Jesse, everything changed. It was like a permission for me to rest, to do anything apart from never-ending building, engineering, creating traps and all that sort of things. And, the best part of all, my "still small voice" didn't actually resist allowing me to forget about everyone and everything and freaking relax myself.

My fingers instinctively grabbed the small paper envelope, which I had found near this portal a couple days ago. It turned out yo be a letter from Jesse, who simply asked me to go above. He didn't explain why or what the heck was happenning, but it wasn't like I complained about it too much. Being able to at last take some rest of this routine was the best reward I could imagine.

And yet here I was. Frozen in front of that stupid portal, not able to take a step inside and leave the Underneath behind. There was this wicked hesitation in the air, that made me stop and think about my decision twice and thrice and yet again before actually going in.
- Oh, come on! - I growled at myself, hating this doubt with every inch of my soul. The Oasis was safe and sound, surely nothing would happen to it during this week!

So, with every inch of courage that was inside me, I took a step forward. A feeling that I had almost forgotten surrounded me, as I saw blinding lights flashing furiously before my eyes and felt like I was falling, but falling up instead of falling down. My stomach didn't like such kind of treatment, so I closed my eyes in order not to throw up.

After everlasting moment, everything turned back to normal and I felt my body falling on a warm stone floor.
- Why are they always so... - I growled, but instantly shut up. Even with my eyes still closed, I knew I was outside. My sensitive skin felt something for the first time since I couldn't remember when - warmth of sun. Not that dreadful heat of lava, not that sickening stuffiness of the place I had called home. No, the rays of sun gently touched my body sending shivers run down my spine.

Suddenly afraid of hell knows what, I hesitently lifted myself up and opened my eyes. Very wise thing, indeed, because the next second I shut them close, blinded by that forgotten light.
After a couple of seconds I carefully and slowly opened my eyes again. This time it was better, for I could finally see something.

- Oh, my... - I whispered in awe, looking all around me. The portal was no where to be seen, but I found myself standing in front of a weird, broken building that was actually more ruins than something built properly. I could tell that once upon a time it used to look fine, with this strange cross of colourful glass that remained not touched.

- What is this place? - I frowned, turning around. Yeah, I was talking to myself, but you can't blame me for that, can you? Whatever, it's not like I care.
My eyes widened at the sight of an endless blue sky above me. There were two or three clouds, but otherways it was flawless. At last I saw the light - and it's like the fog had lifted. I was staring at the colours right before my eyes, at this huge world that surrounded me, and I simply couldn't believe it. How? How could it possibly exist in the same dimention as my home, where everything was dark and spooky. How could it be?