Chapter 8. Lunch time

Xara's POV

Leaving Romeo to unpack, I stormed into the kitchen and stood there, feeling my blood bobbling in fury. My hands were shaking a little, so I had to grab the back of the chair - the urge to punch something was almost irresistable. But I had to stay calm. I had to. Otherways, I might've done something I certainly would've regretted later. So, deep breaths, Xara. Deep breaths. Think of something nice, something calming... Romeo burning in fire will do.

Something snapped me out of my dreams. I turned around, looking at my enemy, while something unusual was tingling somewhere near my heart. Spaced out, I watched as he took his clothes out of the bag and put them in the chests, all folded nicely. When did he get a habit of taking care of his things?

Nevermind, it's not important.

I turned around and went to the oven, where the things I had found in the forest were lying, still untouched. In one of the chests there was some stuff left, like forks and knives. So, I took out a knife and smirked, imagining stabbing Romeo with this. Not now, perhaps later.

I cut the vegetables and frowned, thinking of what I could cook with it. I hadn't been cooking for a pretty long time, obviously, and I was never able to do it properly. Perhaps, I could just make some soup? It shouldn't be that hard, just boil water and then put all the stuff inside, add some sault. I could've made a stew, but no. That thing will always bring back memories of prison.

So, soup it is. I grabbed a deep pan and sighed at how much dust there was in it. Ugh.

Luckily, as I tried to turn the water on in the sink, it flowed. I washed the pan and then poured enough water in it to make a soup. Then, after I put the pan on the oven and turned it on, I only had to wait for the water to boil... I really hoped I hadn't forgotten everything during my time in captivity.

Speaking of which... I suddenly realised that I couldn't hear any movement, and in that moment that it took me to turn around, my heart skipped a beat. I don't know what I was afraid of, but the sight of Romeo, standing still in the middle of the room made me feel slightly better. He had finished unpacking, and now simply stood there, his head hung low. For a split moment I thought I had seen his dark eyes looking at me through the curtain of his hair.

- What?! - I snapped, a little worried about his silence. That doctor had said that now Romeo always thought before saying something, which couldn't be a bad thing... But if before I could understand his emotions by screams like "I hate this world, it's just so unfair!", now there were a little more problems with it.

My former friend shook his head slightly, and I gritted my teeth. Was he hiding something now?!
- What. Is. It. - I growled, casting a quick glance on the knife, that was lying near the sink. Romeo must've seen it, though, because he flinched back. Slowly, as if wondering if he really had to do it, he lifted up his hands and pointed at the oven. I stared at it, levels of confusion and anger rising up.

- I'm not a psychic, you know. - My voice was filling with venom. - Use your words!
Romeo bowed his head, I seriously couldn't see where he was looking. For two long seconds he seemed to hesitate, before taking a small step back. Really?! He couldn't even talk?! I rolled my eyes and turned around, because the water didn't even look like it would start bobbling anytime soon.

- Ong... Pato.

That whisper was so quiet that I froze, thinking it had been just my imagination. I was sure I had heard something, some words, but couldn't understand where they came from, what they meant. My head slowly turned to Romeo, who didn't move a muscle. Did he?
- What did you say?
He flinched, before repeating, this time more clear:
- Wrong. Button.