Chapter 32: Waiting for Rain

Wow. Wow...this thing is gorgeous. I gawk internally, goggling at the stunning gown hanging before me. It is an astonishingly beautiful white trumpet styled dress that has a sweetheart neckline that displays a tasteful amount of cleavage, the thin straps holding it up. It is a rather simple gown that is plain in terms of beads and jewels, but there is a bit of lace detail. All in all, it's still more than I ever expected.

And more than I could ever afford.

"How am I supposed to pay Mr. Sui back for this? This is worth way more than I make," I whisper, running my fingers over the smooth material. "Wow. It's just so beautiful."

"Y/N! Y/N, I'm here! Are we getting ready in the living room or your room?" Hiyori calls as she makes her ascend on the steps to my apartment.

I bite my lower lip. There's no more counting the days. There's no more anticipating each passing moment of each passing day. There's no more of doing any of that because today is the day. Today -tonight- is the Paxton Free Young Awards. Tonight, I will most likely see my parents. I'm both eager and anxious.

I drop my hand to my side and turn as Hiyori appears, answering, "Probably my room. Is that okay?"

"Mmmhmm. Yeah, that works," she nods. Her stare drifts to my dress, her face lighting up as she beams, "O.M.G.! That is gorgeous!" She comes over and gingerly runs her fingers along the fabric of my dress. "Wow! Did Mr. Sui find this for you?"

"Yeah," I answer, once again glimpsing at my gown. "Yeah, he did, and I shudder at the thought of how long it'll take me to pay him back for this."

She glances at me, her stare bouncing back and forth between me and my evening wear for the night before she smiles, "I wouldn't worry too much about it. Not tonight, anyway. Tonight, just focus on trying to have a nice time."

Focus on having a nice time. Try to have a good time. Try being the keyword. In the end, no matter what this award ceremony will be like tonight, my parents will still be there. Both YF/N and YM/N will be in attendance. So, despite how much of an enjoyable night I could make it, in the end, they'll still be there. And how bitterly sweet that will be.

"Well, we should head up and start getting ready," Hiyori suggests.

I shake my head to pull myself from thought and agree, "Yeah. Yeah, let's do that."

And that's what we do. With our dresses in tow, we head up the steps to my room. Hiyori happily hums but all I can think about is my parents.

***

This dress...this dress fits better than I thought. The fabric hugs each of my curves perfectly and displays just a hint of cleavage, though it's nothing anywhere near provocative. Everything about it is just so elegant and stunning. And there's a part of it that reminds me of my childhood. How many pretty little dresses did my mother stick me in to attend conferences, holiday parties, and other events? Too many. The answer is too many.

I let out a sigh and shuttle off, heading to the main level of my apartment where Hiyori is waiting. I reach the ground and glance up at my friend. As expected, she is stunning. The dress Mr. Sui had found for her fits her perfectly, the color of it popping against her soft skin tone. Her long chocolate locks are pulled up into an elegant bun, a few loose strands framing her face as a soft touch of makeup enhances her features. All in all, she looks amazing and I can only imagine what Hiroki's response will be.

Hiyori must hear me approaching because she glances up, beaming, "Wow! Look at you! You look amazing!" She moves to me, taking my hands into hers. "Wow! Y/N, you look incredible! That Yato guy is totally missing out."

My heart sinks at the mention of his name. It shouldn't sink at the mention of his name. It shouldn't do that. It has no reason to do that. I have Kaito. Kaito is the love of my life. Kaito has been the love of my life all this time...but if that's the case, then why do I feel this way? Why does my heart try to skip a beat at the mere mention of his name?

Yato's name...

Swallowing back the lump in my throat, I faintly smile, "Yeah...I guess so."

Hiyori notices my shift and immediately rushes to say, "Oh, my gosh. I am so sorry, Y/N! I shouldn't have said that. I didn't mean to upset you. I am so, so sorry."

I shake my head. "It's okay, Hiyori. No harm done."

She scans me, her magenta orbs searching me to most likely tell if I'm being truthful. Honestly, I am. It's not like Hiyori meant anything by her words. If anything, she just wasn't thinking. On top of that, it's not like Yato ever really left my mind. In the end, he's already there...he's always there.

"Well," I sigh, "shall we take our leave?"

Hiyori scans me one more time, nodding, "Yeah. We have a big night ahead of us."

"Tch," I chuckle under my breath. "You have no idea. You have no idea."

**Bello lovelies! Looks like we're FINALLY heading to the award ceremony. Which means we're another step toward the Blood Root Ceremony. Getting excited? Nervous? Feel free to let me know! As always, thank you so much for everything! Y'all are the cat's pajamas! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross