Chapter 12: Anguish and Rage

"L/N Y/N. Is that really you?" he questions, the surprise sprawling across his features. "My God...it is. It is you."

Thump, thump. Thump, thump. Thump, thump.

Dr. Itchi. One of the last people I ever expected to see here. Well, I never expected to see Kaito either, but look at how that went. So, seeing his father shouldn't be that shocking...but it is. Maybe because the last time I saw him...things didn't play out so well for me. And judging by his features, it may not go well now, either.

"L/N Y/N," he repeats. "What...what are you doing here?"

I tighten my grip on my cup and swallow, "I, uh...I work here. Well, I work and live here...in Nora. I work and live in Nora...now."

He blinks. "You...work and live here? Where?"

Slightly shaking, I point at Seven. "T-there. I'm...I'm a security guard at S-Seven."

His eyes widen which confuses me. Does he know about the shop? His behavior is rather peculiar. I mean, was he expecting something else? Then again, maybe it's the fact that I said I'm a security guard. After all, I'm not very intimidating...at all.

"You work at Seven?" he questions.

I nod, "Y-yes. Been here since late fall."

His eyes widen even more. "Under Dr. Sui?"

Now, it's my turn to widen my eyes. I shouldn't be too surprised to hear that name come from Dr. Itchi, but at the same time, I am. I mean, Nora is not close to Osaka by any means. So, how would he know that name? Unless...unless he knew Mr. Sui personally.

"Umm, Mr. Sui," I say shakily. "He goes by Mr. Sui these days, but yes. He is my boss...and landlord."

"Landlord?" he repeats, glimpsing at Seven before returning his stare to me. "You...live above the shop?"

"Yes," I reply. "M-may I ask why -"

"Why this surprises me?" he finishes. I just nod so he continues, "I suppose it stems to me not expecting that you'd be here. How long has it been? Two years?"

I tighten my grip on my cup. "Three. It's been three years."

Dr. Itchi's eyes soften upon hearing this before dropping briefly to the ground. A warm breeze blows, whisking around us as a veil of silence envelopes us. I already know what he's thinking. I already know.

"My apologies," he swallows. "Listen, Y/N -"

"Don't," I interrupt, meeting his stare. "Please, don't. I don't want your condolences, Dr. Itchi. It happened three years ago. I did all my grieving then. It is what it is. So, please, don't." Another gust breezes by as I breathe, "It was good to see you, Dr. Itchi."

I begin to leave, heading for Seven as if it's my safety net when Dr. Itchi says, "I know you don't want my apology, and I don't deserve your forgiveness. God knows that what your parents and I forced you to do is beyond unforgivable. We hurt you so much in more ways than we could ever imagine. So, you have every right to reject my apology, but please know that ever since that day, I've done nothing but hate myself and how I allowed your parents to do that to you." He pauses briefly, causing me to turn before he adds, "You were scared and afraid. No one was on your side. You had no one. I should have been there for you. I should of -"

I shake my head. "No, Dr. Itchi. I take responsibility for what happened. I...I should've been smarter."

"It wasn't a lack of intelligence--we both know you are an extraordinarily brilliant young woman--it was just by chance," he interjects. "It was something that just happened and instead of protecting you as an adult should, I stood idle and watched as your parents put you through so much pain and anguish. Pain and anguish that no one, especially a sixteen-year-old girl should have to go through. And for that, I am truly, deeply sorry."

I want to forgive him. I want to accept his apology and tell him everything is good. I want to, but I can't bring myself to. Though I try to resist its touch, I can still feel this bit of rage towards him and my parents in the pit of my stomach. A rage that makes me feel ill and nips at my mind. A rage that cannot be explained. I am still angry at them.

"You're sorry," I repeat. "You say that, but did you ever tell Kaito? Does he know?"

"I, well...I...no," he answers quietly. "No, I never told him."

"He has no clue," I confirm. "As I already said, it was good to see you again, sir. I wish you all the best."

I once more try to walk away when Dr. Itchi murmurs, "You would have made a wonderful mother, Y/N."

**Bello lovelies! A little chat with Dr. Itchi (obviously Kaito Itchi's dad). A reminder that Kaito is Y/N's ex-boyfriend/first love. We saw a bit of him in book two. Don't worry, we will see more of him soon. Are y'all ready for that? Hope so! Thank you so, so much for everything! Y'all are the bee's knees! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross