chapter twenty one

"Sarah Holland, welcome home. Another day as a Broadway star, how do you feel?" Katie and Rory welcomed me as soon as I stepped inside. After Alex and I got frozen yogurt, we split ways and said we'd see each other soon. I mentioned we could meet up during the weekend because I didn't have rehearsals for the rest of the week, but Alex did. I knew he wouldn't be up to hang out afterwards and I wanted him to get home and relax.

"Stop, no pictures," I covered my face as Katie pretended to be a paparazzi and take pictures. Rory held her shoulders as she roughly backed into his chest. "Sarah, this way. Look over here!" She exclaimed, pulling at my arm. I giggled and caught her off guard as I tackled her to the ground.

Katie squealed in shock, blinking up at me. "What are you guys doing?" Rory laughed, hovering over us. As I was about to speak, Katie quickly spun us around and pinned my arms down against the floor. "Oh."

"What the hell, Katie?" I groaned, trying to escape her tight grasp, but she sat on top of my lap and watched me struggle. Katie and I were two short toothpicks that literally weighed the exact same, but she had some weird supernatural power; she was ten times stronger than she looked. Her arms were skinny and boney like mine, so it was a shock to everyone.

Rory and Katie had gotten into a few playful wrestling matches before, but it was always a different outcome. If Katie could catch him off guard, she'd pin him down. But, Rory was strong too, being able to lift us both effortlessly.

"This isn't fair! We both know you have some sort of superpower you aren't telling me about," I complained, still attempting to wiggle out of her grasp.

"That's what you get for attacking a paparazzi," She sassed at me. "Wise words once told me, 'With great power comes great responsibility." I stared at her dumbfounded, twitching my eyes.

"Did yo—" Rory started as she whipped her head up at him.

"Yeah," She nodded slowly, crossing her arms. "I went there."

"Get off of me, Uncle Ben. I can't breathe," I joked, sucking in a sharp breath. Katie thought about it for a few seconds, rolling her lips in with a tilt of her head.

Without warning, Rory sighed and reached down to grab Katie's arms. He tugged her up and off of me. "Whoa, what the hell, Aurora?" She grumbled at Rory's sudden move.

I let out a long dramatic breath, my chest heaving rapidly. I sat up on my elbows and held my finger up to signal 'one second'.

"You are the most dramatic girl I've ever met," Katie complained as Rory set her down on her feet. "And I'm not even that heavy," she added, turning to Rory. "Right Aurora?" She smirked, knowing she was ticking him off. His eyes stared at the bold girl with a warning look.

"Quit it," he hissed, leaning closer to her. "And yes you're heavy, I'm just strong," he answered her question with a replica of her previous smirk.

Katie gasped offendedly at his words, harshly hitting his chest. "You're an ass. I don't know how Sarah deals with you," she snapped, keeping serious eye contact with him for another second, before walking away.

"You are just gonna leave me here? Stranded and all alone to die?" I cried out, reaching my hand out for Katie. "Stokes, don't do this," I begged. I bent my head back to stare at her upside down.

I realized the tension between them needed to be sliced with a sharp knife, so I tried to lighten the mood by making jokes. They were both stubborn when they had dumb, pointless disagreements.

Katie returned my stare before shrugging and making her way to the kitchen. I sat up straight and let out an indignant gasp. Rory walked over to my side and sat down, a mischievous smirk on his face.