Top 10 Little Things That Make Me Happy

Part of my unofficial life philosophy is to take things one day at a time, and try to gain the utmost pleasure out of life's miniscule treasures. For once, I am not just talking about my love of tiny dice, and tiny shoes, and other small objects. I mean the little things that people sometimes take for granted that can always put a smile on my face.

1. Parsnip

The word parsnip to me is just totally awesome, just saying it makes me happy. Go on. Say it out loud. PARSNIP. I think it's the 'snip' that gets me. Its a great word, AND the name of a Beanie Baby cat, I think.

2. Ducks eating

Have you ever watched a duck eat? They make this weird, funny little sound, and they're all bobbing around in the water and stuff, and stamping their rubbery little feet. It's spectacular.

3. Colouring

In the last few weeks, I've realized something. COLOURING IS AWESOME. Kids these days are too busy colouring on their iPads or whatever, but honestly, break out the Crayolas and print off some colouring pages (as colouring books seem to be near impossible to find). Its cathartic, and happy making!

4. Music on the radio

Music on the radio just has this unique, summery, kinda fuzzy sound to it that makes me think of the 1970s and summer. And that makes me happier than it probably should.

5. The Smell of Pez

You know how sometimes you're walking around and you notice that the air smells like Pez candy? I mean, maybe I'm just having some sort of aneurysm or something, but honestly, think about it. WHAT SORT OF MAGICAL WORLD DO WE LIVE IN WHERE IT SMELLS LIKE CANDY!? Amazeballs.

6. Befriending Cats

For example, last night I was walking home from work with the boyfriend when, lo and behold, a kitten crosseth our path! It was a funny looking little thing, like, its tail had been shaved except for the end so it had this little puff at the end. Anyway, it was adorable and tiny and came right to me, so OF COURSE I made friends with it. Its all snuggly, I picked it up, we bonded, it purred, it was a beautiful moment. It tried to follow us home, but the boyfriend managed to outwalk it. We looked like we were running away from it as if it was trying to shank us or something.

Long story short: cats out for walks make excellent friends. I stop to chat any chance I get.

7. Pennies

I am still of the belief that if you find a penny, you "pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck". I'm always picking up change from the ground. Yeah, maybe its gross, but its in my shoe. So its okay. And one day, maybe I can buy a coffee.

8. Laughing so hard you cry

Now that I've invested in some good waterproof eyeliner, this just got even better. I could also include practising my evil laugh in this, but I find I cry laughing more than I enact evil deeds. One time, we read the dustjacket of Bossypants by Tina Fey in Chapters and had to leave because we laughed so hard we bawled.

9. Mail

I don't care what it is, I LOVE getting mail. Honestly, even getting my phone bill in the mail brought small joy to my withered soul. SEND ME OBJECTS.

10. "It would bring joy to my soul"

In the 7th grade, my school went to Ottawa. We had a tour guide named Adam who once used the expression "It would bring joy to my soul if..." and I thought it was the greatest thing ever. And it clearly was, if I STILL USE IT 10 YEARS LATER. Who doesn't want to have joy in their soul? Topically, perhaps Lord Voldemort, but I'm not too worried about him. I probably should be, I suppose. This is getting off topic.