Blake took a deep breath and squeezed my hand as we rose. "Are you ready, Rose?"

I glanced across at him. No. Yes. Maybe. I didn't know. I didn't know what I was going into. He said that these people were bad, but how bad were they? What did they want? I had no way of knowing, and something told me that Blake wouldn't be too keen on sharing.

So I just mutely nodded. It was as good of an answer as any.

The elevator let out a ding, and the doors slid open, revealing the foyer we had walked through that morning. Chatter and noise filled the air, along with light music playing, and I knew that the party had already begun.

"This way," Blake said, gesturing to the hallway to the ballroom, even though there was only one way there. He gave me a confident smile, but I knew it was fake. He was nervous. Some small part of me wanted to comfort him.

I ignored it.

He led me down the hall and into a hub of life. The barren ballroom I had seen that morning was already steadily filling with people, chatting in groups, and mingling amongst glasses of wine and servings of refined finger food.

"Blake!" A cheery voice called out from nearby. We both turned to find a tall blonde guy walking over with a grin on his face. "The host finally arrives. Aren't they supposed to be here from the start?"

"It's good to see you too, Matt," Blake replied, grinning back. "I'm glad you could make it."

Blake held out his hand to shake, but instead of the formal shake I was expecting, Matt took the opportunity to bring Blake in for a man hug, before breaking away and grinning. "I'm glad I could make it too. Especially so I could meet this lovely woman..." He trailed off, turning his attention to me with a charming smile. "Who's this, Blake?"

"This," He said, retaking my hand, "is the lovely Rose. She's going through some hard times with her parents, so I'm just helping her out with a place to stay, and a bit of work, until she gets back on her feet."

I felt him squeeze my hand and dutifully nodded, smiling at Matt. "He's been a very charming host, despite the lateness." I forced out.

Blake smiled at me, content. Matt grinned and sighed. "Well, I'll let you go do your host duties and mingle. And don't forget to grab a drink. I'm sure you need it."

He winked at me, then sauntered off. Blake smiled and looked at me. "Champagne, my rose?"

"I'm not old enough," I muttered, and he batted a hand.

"Nonsense. You're old enough for me, so please, have a drink." He said, and with that, he grabbed two glasses from a passing waiter and handed one to me with a smile. "Here, drink up."

I took a swig, and couldn't help but make a face. Blake chuckled. "Keep going. Sip slower. Savour the taste. I promise it gets better the more you have."

I nodded, ignoring the churning in my stomach. Slowly, I took another sip. This time, I managed not to gag, and Blake grinned at me proudly.

"Good girl, my rose!"

At that moment, another voice called out Blake's name, and just like that, we were sucked into the hub of the party, talking to person after person, making the same introduction each time.

I was Blake's charity project, and I hated it.

So, as we spoke, I drank. Glass after glass. Feeling myself getting more and more drunk.

Jordan and I had drunk before, of course. At friend's parties, times when she had snuck some wine from her mums' pantry, that kind of thing, but this wasn't like that. This time, I wasn't drinking for fun. I was drinking to forget.