The Plan.

Trigger warning: domestic violence, abuse

She reached out and grabbed at my hand, and with an unholy strength, she pulled me across to the sink.

"What are you doing?" I stuttered, but she didn't respond. In one fluid movement she flipped her grip, moving her hand from my arm to the back of my head.

I was too shocked to realise what was going on. Then she pushed my head down.

Into the washing up water.

Immediately, I started to panic, and push away, but she was strong. She held my head down, and I screamed in the water, trying to use my hands to scratch at her and get her off me. But she didn't budge.

I felt the water fill my mouth, soapy and warm. My eyes stung from the dishwashing liquid. I was terrified. What if she killed me here? Drowning in a kitchen sink?

But just as I started feeling lightheaded, she pulled me out. I spluttered for breath, sobbing.

She wasn't done though. She barely gave me a few seconds break before pushing my head back under.

I screamed again, feeling it all come rushing back. The sensation of water filling my lungs. The darkness. Completely and utterly trapped. Drowning.

She pulled me back out again, this time for an even shorter time before pushing me back under.

And she did it again.

And again.

And again.

I gave up trying to struggle against her. It was no use. I went limp, getting weaker and weaker each time she pushed me under the water.

Then I heard his little voice, muffled by the water. I could just make out what he said.

"Are you okay mummy?"

Gwen pulled me out and let go of my neck. She stepped backwards, taking my hand. "I'm fine, my baby boy. Go back to watching your movie."

He looked at me, scared. I was lightheaded, and weary, and he was blurry and faraway. I clenched my eyes shut to stop myself from throwing up.

"Is Lia okay, mummy?" He asked, scared.

"She's fine Jacky. Aren't you, Ophelia?" Gwen squeezed my hand, her grip a warning. She wanted me to respond, but when I opened my mouth and tried to speak, I started to cough, and hardly managed to spit into the sink the bile and murk rising in my chest.

Gwen scowled. "She's just a little sick, that's all Jacky."

"Is she going to go away like you did?" He asked.

Gwen shook her head. "No, my baby boy. Ophelia's fine. She just needs rest. You go back to watching your movie, and I'll take Ophelia back downstairs to her room. Okay?"

He hesitated, then nodded. "Okay. I hope you feel good again soon, Lia."

He shuffled away, and Gwen let out a small sigh. She gently brushed stray hair from my eyes and placed her other hand on my shoulder. I was still coughing, but my coughs were beginning to sound more like sobs. She quietly let out a hush, and leant across to place a small kiss on my shoulder.

"You're alright, Ophelia. You're okay. Let's get you downstairs, okay?"

I didn't have the strength or willpower to respond. I was lost. Her strength and anger had disappeared in barely a matter of seconds, replaced with this bizarre caring figure. I didn't understand what had just happened. All I knew was that she had hurt me, and things would never be the same.