His warning

We drove for a long time. At first, I tried to pay attention to where we were going, but after a while, my mind wandered, and my eyes got heavy. I let myself drift off, and when I woke up again, the limo was pulling to a stop.

"Come on, Rose. Put this on. We're here." Blake said, gently squeezing my leg and passing me a fur coat. I blinked slowly, still not fully awake, looking out of the car as I did as told and put on the fur.

I was surprised to find that we were in the mountains again, stopped out the front of a grand manor-like building built at the base of one of the hills, across from a large ski resort.

"Where are we?" I asked groggily. Blake smiled, pointing up at a banner hanging from one of the street-lamps lining the road.

"Vail Resort. Have you ever been, my rose?" He asked, nodding at the ski hill as he stepped out onto the cobblestone driveway. I shook my head.

"No. I've driven past it plenty of times but never stayed. My parents aren't the skiing type." I said, climbing out of the car behind him.

He smiled at me. "Well, I'll have to take you some time. I own a private lodge on the edge of the valley. It's quite cozy. I'm sure you would love it, my rose."

I nodded mutely. I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. If Gwen and I succeeded in our plan, I would be far away from him. If we failed, he would sell me off like some second-hand junk. Either way, I would likely never see that lodge. Some small part of me wished I could.

Blake led me up the cobblestone driveway to the revolving doors of the manor, and into the luxurious foyer.  Inside, the air was warm, but not too warm, just warm enough that I felt like taking off the big fur coat I was wearing. Almost as if reading my mind, Blake turned and gently helped me take it off, then pulled off his own. From seemingly out of nowhere, a bellboy appeared, and took the two coats from Blake, then disappeared through a doorway by the front desk.

A sign above the desk read Aspen Seed and then in sneaker font beneath it, restaurant and day spa. Two reception ladies were waiting for us, but only one smiled at us as we walked over. The tag she was wearing told me that her name was Sarah.

"I have a lunch reservation for two under Blake Ivy," Blake said as we got closer.

"Of course, Mr Ivy, let me just check you in." She said, then proceeded to look something up on the computer. After a few moments of clicking, she smiled. "Right, you're in the indoor terrace. Natalie here can escort you up there, and then you'll be alone until the chefs bring in your meal, as you requested Mr Ivy."

She gave us a kind smile, then looked across to the other girl, Natalie, who nervously stood and came out from behind the desk. She glanced awkwardly back at the other receptionist, Sarah, who offered her a reassuring smile, then nodded.

"Right, the terrace is this way," Natalie said, glancing at us and then beginning to walk down a hallway away from the desk.

Blake took my hand and squeezed it gently, then followed, pulling me along with him.

Natalie led us through the building, past a large dining area, then up a flight of stairs and past another large dining area, then up one more flight of stairs before finally coming to a smaller glass atrium at the top of the building. In the centre of the atrium was a round table, with a white tablecloth draped over it and a single black rose sitting in a vase in the middle.

My heart sank into my stomach, and my skin went cold, despite the warm air.

"Thank you, Natalie, that will be all," Blake said, giving her a kind smile.