Chapter Fifteen

Hello my children!

Okay, so it's been a month. The holidays got me not knowing what's up and what's down. But, I finally had time amongst the chaos to sit down and write! Yay! 

I hope you like what I've got in store for you, because the next couple chapters are going to be quite the roller coaster! Prepare yourselves...

Enjoy,

Epsilon <3

~

I never wanted to leave the peace and tranquility of my mate's field, but Marcus had begun to get antsy and restless. It was unsurprising, and I found I couldn't hold it against him. My mate may have been created to bide his time, wait for lifetimes to collect the souls of those who were dying, but in recent millennia he'd become a creature of action and battle. He'd forever been changed by God's influence, and there was no pretending otherwise. And, I suspected, this was exacerbated by the fact that I was the one in danger. He never seemed to react well to that. Not that I blamed him. If he was ever in danger, I might lose my mind.

Despite what he'd said before, I knew he knew what the newfound breadth of my powers meant. I was right back where I started. I was an unknown entity, potentially a danger to everything Lucifer loved and the very existence of the Greek gods. Honestly, if they wanted to kill me, I would understand. And I wasn't so sure I would try to stop them. Because wasn't I the threat they should all fear? Wasn't I the danger they would surely claim me to be?

But at the same time, the thought of abandoning my Champion left me feeling cold and empty. Maybe...I had something to live for now, other than just life itself? But would I be willing to fight—to take life—for that? I'd already killed so much. I was tired. Tired of it. Tired of death in general.

So no, I wouldn't take life. But...I'd do my best to defend myself without killing. I wasn't even sure how to do that, but I knew that I had to. I simply was left with no other choice.

"What're you thinking about so hard over there, babygirl?" I was jolted from my thoughts when my mate came from behind, sweeping me up into his strong arms.

"Nothing," I smiled up at him, though that was the last thing I wanted to do at the moment.

His eyes narrowed dangerously. "I think you're lying—"

"Don't we have to get back to Hell? To warn Lucifer and Ammi about what's going on?" I interrupted quickly. "Or do you want Hades and Athena to just show up without any notice?"

He winced, the horrific scenario I'd painted suitably distracting him. "You've got a point there. I don't want my ass on the line for that."

"I wouldn't mind," I giggled, this time genuinely. "Having your butt on the line, that is. It's a very nice butt," I informed him solemnly.

He threw his head back, laughing, and I felt like the god between the two of us. Sobering, he replied, "my ass is always on your line, babygirl. But I don't want it on Luce's."

I scowled at the very thought of anyone other than me having control over my Champion's behind.

"A fair point," I admitted.