Chapter Thirteen: Part One

Hello kids!

I'm back again, and I promise the wait was worth it! This chapter is TWO PARTS! This is part one, and I'll be uploading part two tomorrow...I swear! And, as you can probably already see, these parts are long AF. They definitely are the same chapter...but it's one long-ass chapter, so I split it up to make it easier on y'all.

That being said, this chapter is VERY IMPORTANT. The plot is finally kicking off, and we're here reaching the breaking point. Marcus is getting his Kaiah back, and then there'll be Hell (lol) to pay!

Anyways, enough blabbing!

Enjoy,

E <3

MARCUS

"I still do not understand why my basileus allowed you to take me," Lacedaemon growled, stalking both gracefully and moodily behind me in a way only a Spartan could. "Why are we suddenly in my homeland?" He looked around scathingly at the colorful street vendors and loud tourists lining the cracked streets. "What's left of it, that is."

"Because," I snapped, scanning the crowds for my destination. It had been a long time, and I was likely to miss it if I wasn't careful. "Kaiah was taken, and we're likely to tangle with the gods. You are the only one other than Lucifer and I who will have any idea of what to expect from them."

I could feel the heavy weight of the strategos' eyes from behind me. "When have you met the gods of Greece, daemon?"

I smirked despite myself, a vindictive pleasure rising in my chest. "Are you afraid of your gods, Spartan?"

He snorted, casting his eyes around the irreverent throng of foreigners—barbarians. "Only fools do not fear the gods."

"Well then, I very much apologize for the fright I'm about to deliver," I replied sardonically. "I am not one of the twelve major gods, but back in my heyday I was known to strike fear into some innocent Greek hearts."

I was forced to stop when Lacedaemon froze, hand going to the butt of his gun, hidden beneath a duster-length coat. He had refused to leave without a weapon, but his normal sword, his kopis, had been left behind out of necessity.

I chuckled without humor. "We don't have time for you to try to shoot me," I turned slightly to eye him. "Kaiah is all that matters. Do not force me to leave you behind."

"Who are you?"

"Oh, come now, can you really not guess?" I turned fully now, brushing my hair from my face with a casual air. "Shall I give you a hint? You never worshipped me, but you knew of me. I watched with Ares from many a battlefield. I saw your last battle, though my sisters did the harvesting of your soul, not I."

The man's olive complexion paled, and I knew he now understood.

"Thanatos."

"Pleasure," I mock-bowed. "Now, can we move on? We won't get anywhere near the Underworld without the help of the messenger."

"You mean to summon Hermes?" The shock on the poor man's face really was comical.