Turning My Best Qualities Against Me

Atty

The rest of the week passed by in a relatively normal manner. Homecoming's right around the corner, so the walls are all bedazzled with posters and flyers and whatnot, as is the usual for this ungodly time of year.

Why is it ungodly, you ask? Well, I have a little something to say about that: I am and always have been, and likely always will be—a single pringle. Now I know, many students opt to go to Homecoming individually or with friends. But c'mon. How awkward is it when throughout the entire dance, you're hanging onto the arm of your best friend, who is currently hanging off the arm of her date?

More often than not, Kaelyn has had to coax me into one of her dresses, chain me to her vanity while she did my hair and makeup, force me into the backseat of her ride, and all to achieve the goal of making me feel like the most useless third wheel in history.

It's only a month into school, and I already feel as though this school year has dragged on long enough. I've gotten high marks in school every year (due in no small part to my depressing social life), and as a result, Kaelyn's parents have been pressuring me into taking advanced classes each year of high school so far. This time around, I'm tackling three AP classes and one honors course. Not to mention Spanish IV, which is sucking the life of of me day by day.

No matter what happens, I want to get all A's in all of my classes this year. I'm counting on getting a good scholarship for college when I graduate, so my grades better look good by the time two years rolls around.

This doesn't seem like a very realistic goal.

"...poof to it, don't you think?" Jasmine's question hangs heavily in the air. Kaelyn snaps her fingers exasperatedly in front of my eyes, causing me to lose my train of thought. I glance around the crowded cafeteria and back the two people next to me.

Jasmine is holding out her phone to me, a picture on her camera roll pulled up of a dress.

"Sorry, Jas," I murmur apologetically.

She immediately brushes this off with a cheerful, "No prob!" Handing the phone to me, she says, "I was just saying that this dress would look gorgeous on you!"

The dress in question is high-necked and sleeveless, with a gold beaded top and a long, soft pink bottom. The dress slims near the waist and widens from the hips, creating an arc. The dress's thin outer fabric rest delicately falls off from the rest of the dress to rest on the floor around the wearer.

"I'm flattered, but..." I trail off slowly.

"Jas," Kaelyn interrupts, "I'm sure that Autumn already has a Homecoming dress of her own, especially when the dance is only in two weeks."

"Yeah..." Jas sighs in disappointment, her enthusiasm dying away. She stares sadly at the lunch table in front of her, her hand holding her chin in boredom.

I groan internally. That guilt-tripping—

"Actually," their heads automatically perk up, "I don't."

The two girls share a giddy look with each other, one that I don't like very much.

Then, all of a sudden, Jas squeals, "Mall trip!"