Chapter 19

You sigh deeply, pacing back and forth in the hallway of the hospital. Shancai's condition is only getting worse and there's not much anyone can do to help. All they can do is give her painkillers so that she doesn't feel the full effects of the soulmate bond.

The soulmate bond. There's no use standing here, waiting around while you're not allowed to see her. You might as well call Si to see how things are going on his end.

You click on his contact, the phone ringing as you settle down in a seat in the waiting room. It doesn't take long for him to answer.

"Y/n, I really can't talk right now." His breathing is shallow and his voice is shaky. "Lei fainted earlier and we're at the hospital."

"Wait, but Shancai is-" You pause, your mind reeling.

"Shancai is what?"

You suck in a breath. "What room is Lei in?"

"Uh.." He stalls for a moment. "..135, why?"

"I have an idea. I'll see you soon." You hang up before he can ask anymore questions. You know that you are running out of time.

You get up from your seat, heading to Shancai's room. You see a nurse standing outside the room and you approach her.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry but you're not-"

"I know I'm not allowed in there." You interrupt her. "But I think I may have some very important information."

Her eyebrows furrow and she leans closer. "What is it?"

"There's a patient here who was also just recently submitted for the same reason. I think they might be soulmates."

Her eyes widen. "How could you be sure?"

"I'm not, but we won't know until we try. I have a really strong feeling about this. Please." Desperation seeps through your tone.

She nibbles at her bottom lip for a bit before sighing. "Do you have a name and room number?"

You smile gratefully. "Huaze Lei, Room 135."

"I'll inform the doctor." She nods to you before heading inside the hospital room.

A few moments later, she comes back out. "The doctor still needs to stabilize the patient. But after that, he will prepare to transfer her."

"Thank you so much." You sigh, feeling a bit of relief.

"Of course." She grins.

You turn your eyes to the signs on the wall, deciding to make your way to Lei's room. After getting lost down the hallways more than once, you eventually make it to Room 135. Immediately, you spot Si leaning up against the wall, just outside the room.

As you approach him, he hears your footsteps and looks up.

"Hey." He says softly as he wraps his arms around you. "How did you get here so quickly?"

"I was already here." You say as you pull away from embrace. "Si, this might sound crazy but...I think Huaze Lei and Shancai are soulmates."

"W-what?" His eyebrows furrow. "Where did you get that idea from?"

"They both felt the effects of the soulmate bond at the same time. And Lei said his soulmate was short, right? Shancai is short."

"Y/n.." He sighs, looking at you warily.

"I know, it's not a lot of evidence. But it's better than nothing. Worst case scenario, nothing happens. But we won't know until we try. That's why I have a doctor transferring Shancai to this room right now."