I never had a say in such matters.

* * *

Stars filled the sky like small specks of snow.

Holly Dae poured me a drink and mouthed along to the song playing. As usual, she was wearing a short skirt. She always wore skirts, something about it accentuating her long legs. It was, in her opinion, her best asset and, in my opinion, I disagreed.

"Bottoms up!" Holly Dae announced with an exuberant toss of her head, promptly downing her drink in one enthusiastic gulp, as did Nik. In order to avoid seeming like an outsider, I mirrored their actions, raising the glass to my lips. I wanted to stay sober for a certain someone...

A certain someone who had just arrived at the scene. Well, more like skated his way to the scene. He pushed the tousled waves of hair away from his eyes and got off his skateboard. He kept one foot on it as he glanced around. I could see him regretting his decision.

His intimidating height was the most noticeable thing about him, then there's his piercing eyes, and his sunken in cheekbones that gave him a sort of skeletal look. He had a rugged look to him all over. His hair was disheveled, slick and glossy, but softly wavy.

His gaze snapped to mine, and even in the darkness of the night, I still could see the black of his eyes. I didn't know if he was the one who started walking first or me, but we met up somewhere in the middle like a magnetic field was pulling us together.

A smile curved upon my lips. "You actually showed up."

Carson tucked his skateboard underneath his arm. "Had nothing better to do on a Sunday night." His black eyes were glittering in the moonlight. "Nice hair," he said and gave a dimpled smile.

I blushed. "Thanks."

Holly Dae waved her arms in the air, trying to grab my attention. I turned back to face Carson, who had been watching me the whole time. "I should go. I'll talk to you later?" I pushed a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"Sure thing," Carson replied, his tone casual. "Maybe we can talk more when the music's not screaming in our ears."

I grinned. "I'd like that. See you in a bit, Carson."

As I headed toward Holly Dae, Carson's gaze lingered, and I could have sworn there was a hint of something in those dark eyes. Holly Dae grabbed my arm, pulling me into the lively crowd, and the pulsating music enveloped us.

You can dance!

You can jive!

Having the time of your life!

Holly Dae and I erupted into joyful screams, our voices blending with the music. I was convinced Harry chose this song on purpose, knowing how much I loved it. Holly Dae threw her arms around my neck and burst into laughter, her radiant energy contagious. We swayed and spun in a carefree dance, downing shot after shot as the night deepened. Unlike Nik, who was currently retching behind a tree, I held my alcohol well.

The song ended as quick as it came, and it was replaced by a hit song that I was unfamiliar with. Holly wiped the back of her mouth on her arm, smearing her lipstick, and slurred, "I'm going to go make out with Nik now. Kay, bye." She was a touchy drunk. She kissed my cheek and bounded away.